Question on Newton's Second Law of Motion

In summary, the arrow would leave the bow with a speed of double the original speed if the force were doubled.
Nivlac2425

Homework Statement

Here's the question:
An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 25.0 m/s. If the average force exerted by the bow were doubled, all else remaining the same, with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find a new initial velocity for the arrow for which the force is doubled. And the question states that all else remains constant. I may need to find the acceleration using F = ma but I'm just not sure where to start at all. I just need a small kick so I know where I'm going :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If a force F gives the arrow an acceleration of a, what would a force of 2F accelerate the arrow by? Use Newton's second law, it's simple algebra.

It's double the initial accceleration right? But how would I find the speed of that?

Nivlac2425 said:
It's double the initial accceleration right? But how would I find the speed of that?
Yup.

You can assume the force is applied for the same amount of time in each case, so in each case the acceleration lasts that long. Set up some equations that relate the velocity of the arrow after t seconds for the first and second case.

Umm i don't get what you are telling him? Would you mind explain? please.

kealh said:
Umm i don't get what you are telling him? Would you mind explain? please.
I really think that I made an error on this problem. If the acceleration is applied for the same duration on the arrow in each case then the velocity in the second case would just be double the velocity in the first case. If the acceleration is applied over the same distance then the velocity of the of the arrow in the second case is [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] times more than the velocity in the first case. I don't know which one is right.

The question is very vague when it says "All else remaining the same." In reality, to get double the average force out of the bow, the distance over which the average force is applied (equal to how far back you pull the string) is not the same in both cases; you could assume that this distance can't be changed. You could keep the distance constant in both cases but that would require more tension in the bow string, which you could also assume can't be changed too. It follows that the amount of time the average force is applied would be different in each case.

Anyone else have some insight?

Really? Nobody has any input?

Eh yea I'm still confuse. but thank though

The confusion comes from the word "average" in the problem. You can have time average or distance average. The result depends on which one you use.

I suppose the problem may belong to a textbook chapter about momentum where you have the equation
Fave= delta (mv).
In this case the average is over time.
And is the only equation in this chapter involving an average so there is no confusion...

Related to Question on Newton's Second Law of Motion

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

2. How is Newton's Second Law of Motion expressed mathematically?

The mathematical expression of Newton's Second Law of Motion is F=ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration. This equation shows that the force and acceleration are directly proportional to each other, while mass and acceleration are inversely proportional.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's Second Law of Motion in action?

One example of Newton's Second Law of Motion is when a person pushes a shopping cart. The force applied by the person (F) causes the cart to accelerate (a) in the direction of the force. The acceleration will be greater if the person pushes harder, and it will be less if the cart has more mass.

4. How does Newton's Second Law of Motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's Second Law of Motion can be observed in many everyday activities, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. It helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration and how they affect the motion of objects in our daily lives.

5. Is Newton's Second Law of Motion always true?

Yes, Newton's Second Law of Motion is a fundamental law of physics and is always true. However, it is important to note that it only applies to objects in a state of constant motion or at rest. When an object experiences changing forces, such as during collisions or in the presence of friction, more complex laws and equations are needed to describe its motion.