Question on linear combinations of sines and cosine (complex analysis)

In summary, complex numbers can be used to represent solutions to differential equations, but only if one of the coefficients is non-real.
arunma
I have a question on complex analysis. Given a differential equation,

[tex]\dfrac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + k ^2 \psi = 0[/tex]

we know that the general solution (before imposing any boundary conditions) is,

[tex]\psi (x) = A cos(kx)+B sin(kx)[/tex].

Now here's something I don't quite understand. The solution,

[tex]\psi (x) = A'e^i ^k ^x + B'e^-^i ^k ^x[/tex]

also works. I'm told that there's a way to rewrite one solution in terms of the other, and solve for the coefficients A and B in terms of A' and B'. But when I write the sines and cosines in terms of imaginary exponentials, I find that one set of coefficients must be complex valued. Is there any way to write [tex]\psi (x)[/tex] in both ways, but keep all the coefficients real?

In case anyone's wondering, I'm asking because this expression is the solution to the differential equations that pop up on quantum mechanics problems on my PhD qualifier (which is in a month and a half).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, look up Euler's formula.
$e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta$.

alyscia, I don't believe that's his question. arunma's question is whether it is possible to write Acos(kx)+ Bsin(kx)= A'eikx+ B'e-ikx with all four of A, B, A', and B' real. The answer to that is "no". If A and B are both real, then Acos(kx)+ Bsin(kx) is real for all x and so at least one of A' and B' must be non-real.

HallsofIvy said:
alyscia, I don't believe that's his question. arunma's question is whether it is possible to write Acos(kx)+ Bsin(kx)= A'eikx+ B'e-ikx with all four of A, B, A', and B' real. The answer to that is "no". If A and B are both real, then Acos(kx)+ Bsin(kx) is real for all x and so at least one of A' and B' must be non-real.

Thanks for your help. I think this takes care of the confusion I've been having for the past couple weeks.

Related to Question on linear combinations of sines and cosine (complex analysis)

1. How are sines and cosines related in linear combinations?

In linear combinations, sines and cosines are related through the use of complex numbers. Sines and cosines can be expressed as imaginary numbers, and when combined with real coefficients, they can create complex numbers that represent points on the unit circle.

2. What is the purpose of using linear combinations of sines and cosines?

The purpose of using linear combinations of sines and cosines is to represent periodic functions in complex analysis. By combining sines and cosines with varying frequencies and amplitudes, we can create more complex and accurate representations of periodic functions.

3. How do you determine the coefficients in a linear combination of sines and cosines?

The coefficients in a linear combination of sines and cosines can be determined through the use of Fourier series. This involves finding the Fourier coefficients, which represent the amplitudes of each individual sine and cosine term in the linear combination.

4. Can linear combinations of sines and cosines be used to represent non-periodic functions?

No, linear combinations of sines and cosines are only used to represent periodic functions in complex analysis. For non-periodic functions, other techniques such as Taylor series or power series may be used.

5. Are there any real-life applications of linear combinations of sines and cosines?

Yes, linear combinations of sines and cosines have many real-life applications, particularly in signal processing and data analysis. They are also used in fields such as physics and engineering to model and analyze periodic phenomena.