Question on Landau and Lifshitz volumes

In summary: I found that I needed to do a little more reading to understand that material, but it wasn't too difficult.
Hunus
What are the mathematical prerequisites of these books? In particular, what are the mathematical prerequisites of volume I?

Physics news on Phys.org
For volume 1, you should be ok with multivariable calc and differential equations, plus a bit of linear algebra (eigenvalues and stuff). They have pretty high expectations as far as computational calculus skills go, especially to solve the problems. It probably helps to be familiar with the calculus of variations too, as it's not explained very well as far as I remember.

Daverz said:
The mathematical requirements aren't that high: comfort with partial differentiation, vector calculus, ODEs, and matrices. But this shouldn't be your first exposure to most of the concepts, e.g. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics. Try Fowles or Symon.

I was thinking only of the first volume, Mechanics. For the other volumes you will need some knowledge of PDEs (e.g. wave equation), Fourier analysis, contour integration, and some exposure to tensor analysis.

And really, the Physics background needed to study these texts is more important, as you'd pick up most of the needed math in undergrad Physics courses.

I agree with all the above opinions. The math prerequisite is not very high, but the physics prereq is pretty much an undergraduate physics degree, in my opinion.

The first volume?
Mathematical Methods in the physical sciences by M Boas level
The other books require a little more though

For volume 1, you should be ok with multivariable calc and differential equations, plus a bit of linear algebra (eigenvalues and stuff). They have pretty high expectations as far as computational calculus skills go, especially to solve the problems. It probably helps to be familiar with the calculus of variations too, as it's not explained very well as far as I remember.

I agree with this completely. Just wanted to add something: I hadn't seen calculus of variations before, and struggled quite a bit with the first chapter at first. But then I watched this MIT lecture by Strang, and it made a lot of sense after that. I would recommend watching it first. After the first chapter, if I recall correctly, you don't see calculus of variations for the majority of the book (although you use the results you obtained in the first chapter).

The mathematical requirements aren't that high: comfort with partial differentiation, vector calculus, ODEs, and matrices. But this shouldn't be your first exposure to most of the concepts, e.g. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics. Try Fowles or Symon.

I disagree with the last point. L&L v1 was my first exposure to the material and I really enjoyed it, and believe I understood it well - the style works well for me. It imagine it depends on how each individual learns best. There isn't nearly as many problems as in other texts, but you can augment it by expanding on the problems they assign and just creating your own problems.

Also, a lot of the other books use tensor analysis and assume you know a bit about PDE's.

Related to Question on Landau and Lifshitz volumes

1. What is "Landau and Lifshitz volumes"?

Landau and Lifshitz volumes refer to a series of textbooks on theoretical physics written by Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz. They cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How many volumes are there in the "Landau and Lifshitz" series?

There are a total of 10 volumes in the Landau and Lifshitz series, each focusing on a specific area of theoretical physics. The first 6 volumes were written by Landau and Lifshitz themselves, while the remaining 4 volumes were written by other authors.

3. Are the "Landau and Lifshitz" volumes suitable for self-study?

Yes, the Landau and Lifshitz volumes are suitable for self-study. However, they are more commonly used as reference texts for graduate-level courses in physics.

4. What makes the "Landau and Lifshitz" volumes stand out from other textbooks on physics?

The Landau and Lifshitz volumes are known for their concise and rigorous approach to theoretical physics. They are highly respected by physicists for their mathematical clarity and depth of analysis.

5. Can the "Landau and Lifshitz" volumes be used by non-physicists?

The Landau and Lifshitz volumes are primarily intended for physicists, as they assume a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, they can also be useful for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of theoretical physics.