Question on finding maximum magnitude of acceleration

In summary, the object's maximum acceleration occurs when its x and y coordinates are both equal to 45 m/s2.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

An object is moving in the xy-plane according to the equations x(t) = 3sin(3t) and y(t) = 4cos(3t). What is the maximum magnitude of the particle's acceleration?

1. 1) 5 m/s2
  2. 2) 15 m/s2
  3. 3) 30 m/s2
  4. 4) 36 m/s2 [the accepted answer]
  5. 5) 45 m/s2

Homework Equations

x(t) = Asin(wt + phase constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that for each dimension if I take the second derivative of the two position equations I get acceleration, and the maximum acceleration for each of those two is simply A*omega^2.

So that's what I did.

For acceleration in the x-dimension, I get: 3*3^2.
For acceleration in the y-dimension, I get 4*3^2.

Taking the squares of the two acceleration components and then summing them and taking the square root of the sum gives 45, which is what I got. Why do the authors then believe 36 m/sec^2 is the right answer?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does ax, max occur at the same instant that ay, max occurs?

Likes cnh1995
no, of course not. how would I fix for that, then?

But how would I be able to tell if the aymax and axmax occur simultaneously?

Can you find an expression for the magnitude of the (total) acceleration as a function of time?

Yes, take the squares of the two equations, sum and square root.

I am too lazy to write it out here, unless it is really needed. ;-)

RoboNerd said:
But how would I be able to tell if the aymax and axmax occur simultaneously?
Find expressions for ax and ay as functions of time. By inspection you will see that their max values do not occur at the same time.

RoboNerd said:
For acceleration in the x-dimension, I get: 3*3^2.
For acceleration in the y-dimension, I get 4*3^2.

are your accelerations correctly written-
i think there are cosine /sine terms also in the accelerations.
check.
or you can find r the radius vector and find out the acceleration and find out the maximum.

Aha, OK. thanks.
TSny said:
Find expressions for ax and ay as functions of time. By inspection you will see that their max values do not occur at the same time.

drvrm said:
are your accelerations correctly written-
i think there are cosine /sine terms also in the accelerations.
check.
or you can find r the radius vector and find out the acceleration and find out the maximum.

I was just doing manipulations of maximum and minimum values [just the amplitudes of the two equations... if you know what I mean]

RoboNerd said:
Yes, take the squares of the two equations, sum and square root.

I am too lazy to write it out here, unless it is really needed. ;-)
That's pretty lazy. :oldeyes:
I wouldn't have suggested it unless I thought it was worth the trouble. :oldsmile:

Likes RoboNerd
sqrt( 3sin(3t)^2 + 4cos(3t)^2 )

Here you go, sir!

No, that's not the sum of the squares of the acceleration components.
##a = \sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2}##

Related to Question on finding maximum magnitude of acceleration

1. What is the maximum magnitude of acceleration?

The maximum magnitude of acceleration is the highest value of acceleration that an object can experience in a given situation. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or in units of g (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How is the maximum magnitude of acceleration calculated?

The maximum magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is known as the average acceleration. The maximum magnitude of acceleration can also be determined by using the equation a=max(vf-vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the maximum magnitude of acceleration?

The maximum magnitude of acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the mass and shape of the object, the force applied, and the surface it is accelerating on. Friction and air resistance can also impact the maximum magnitude of acceleration.

4. What is the difference between maximum magnitude of acceleration and average acceleration?

Maximum magnitude of acceleration is the highest value of acceleration that an object can reach, while average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time period. Average acceleration takes into account the starting and ending velocities, while maximum magnitude of acceleration focuses on the highest value of acceleration during the entire motion.

5. How is the maximum magnitude of acceleration used in real-world applications?

The maximum magnitude of acceleration is an important concept in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to calculate the forces acting on objects and to design structures and equipment that can withstand high accelerations. In sports, the maximum magnitude of acceleration is often used to measure the speed and agility of athletes.