Question on finding inductance of parallel plate transmission line.

In summary, the total inductance per unit length of a parallel plate transmission line with width w and space d between the two plates is equal to μ0d/w. This calculation only takes into account one plate, but the total inductance is typically twice this value. However, the assumption of a uniform field requires both plates and w>>d, so the calculation for one plate can be applied to the other side as well. This is similar to calculating the capacitance of the parallel plate transmission line using electric boundary conditions.
yungman
Find the inductance per unit length of parallel plate tx line width = w and space =d between the two plates. w>>d.

My question is whether the total inductance is twice the calculate inductance because total inductance is the sum of inductance of the top and the bottom plate. But it seems all books only use one side for calculation. This is my calculation of the bottom plate only.

For w>>d, B is consider uniform and parallel to the plates.

I use the boundary condition of lower plate:

[tex] \int_s \nabla \times \vec B \cdot d \vec s = \int_c \vec B\cdot d\vec l = \mu_0 I [/tex]

I take medium 1 is space between the plates and medium 2 be the copper of bottom plate. [itex]\hat T_1[/itex] is same direction as B1.

[tex]\Rightarrow \int_c \hat T_1 \cdot ( \vec B_1 - \vec B_2) dl = \mu_0 I [/tex]

[tex] \vec B_2 = 0 \;\Rightarrow B_1= \frac {\mu_0 I}{w} [/tex]

[tex] \Phi = \int_s \vec B \cdot d\vec s = \mu_0 \frac {d I }{w} \;\hbox { for unit length =1 } [/tex]

[tex] L = \frac {\Phi}{I} = \mu_0 \frac d w [/tex]

I thought this is inductance of only one plate. The total inductance of the parallel plate is twice of the calculation. Why don't I have to multiply by two?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I understand that in order to make the assumption of uniform field, you need both plates and w>>d. So it is not as if you can calculate the inductance totally separate. But still what ever your inductance calculation is, it apply on the other side.

This question is true when calculating capacitance of the parallel plate tx line also using electric boundary condition also( normal boundary ).

Related to Question on finding inductance of parallel plate transmission line.

1. What is a parallel plate transmission line?

A parallel plate transmission line is a type of electrical circuit used for transmitting signals and power between two points. It consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by a dielectric material, such as air or a non-conductive material.

2. How does a parallel plate transmission line work?

When a voltage is applied to the conducting plates, an electric field is created between them. This electric field allows for the transmission of electromagnetic waves along the line, carrying the signal or power from one end to the other.

3. What is inductance and why is it important in a parallel plate transmission line?

Inductance is the property of a circuit that resists changes in current. In a parallel plate transmission line, inductance is important because it affects the speed and attenuation of the signal being transmitted. A higher inductance can cause slower signal propagation and higher losses along the line.

4. How do you calculate the inductance of a parallel plate transmission line?

The inductance of a parallel plate transmission line can be calculated using the following formula: L = μ0 * μr * (h/w), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the dielectric material, and h/w is the aspect ratio of the line.

5. What are some applications of parallel plate transmission lines?

Parallel plate transmission lines are commonly used in high-frequency electronic circuits, such as radio frequency (RF) systems, microwave communication systems, and high-speed digital data transmission. They are also used in power distribution networks for transmitting electricity over long distances with low losses.