Question on excitation energy?

In summary, the first ionization energy for an atom is the minimum energy required to remove the electron from it's orbit. This energy is different for hydrogen and oxygen, as the 1S electron binding energy for oxygen is 870 eV while the 1S electron binding energy for hydrogen is 13.6 eV.
HMS-776
Just wanted to ask a simple question to clarify my thinking.

The Ionization Energy of an atom is said to be the minimum energy required to bring the electron to it's next higher orbit.

Looking at the Oxygen atom's first ionization energy of 13.6eV. Does this mean that any energy level which is 13.6eV or higher will cause the first ionization to take place?

Does this hold true for wavelength? A wavelength which is shorter than the absorbtion wavelength will also cause ionization because the shorter wavelength is stronger?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea, any energy higher than the required energy will cause the ionization. The higher the energy, the more likely the ionization will take place. Also, the surplus of energy will contribute to the kinetic energy of the electron.

A higher energy automatically means a shorter wavelenght, so this also holds for this, yes.

The ionization energy is the minimum energy that will completely remove the electron out of an atomic orbit and produce a free electron and a negative oxygen ion (with 7 electrons). The maximum wavelength is about 904 Angstroms.

There are some misconceptions here, so I'll clear up what I can.

HMS-776 said:
Just wanted to ask a simple question to clarify my thinking.

The Ionization Energy of an atom is said to be the minimum energy required to bring the electron to it's next higher orbit.
No. The Ionization Energy would completely remove an electron from the atom, as Bob S said.
It is the First Excitation Energy that brings an electron to it's next higher orbital.

Looking at the Oxygen atom's first ionization energy of 13.6eV.
That 13.6 eV value is for hydrogen, not oxygen.

Does this mean that any energy level which is 13.6eV or higher will cause the first ionization to take place?
This question doesn't really make sense. A photon of 13.6 eV or more energy can cause ionization -- in hydrogen.

Does this hold true for wavelength? A wavelength which is shorter than the absorbtion wavelength will also cause ionization because the shorter wavelength is stronger?
Yes, that is true.

From HMS-776
Looking at the Oxygen atom's first ionization energy of 13.6eV. Does this mean that any energy level which is 13.6eV or higher will cause the first ionization to take place?
Redbelly98 said:
That 13.6 eV value is for hydrogen, not oxygen..
I stated in another thread by HMS-776 that the ionization energy for one-electron bound states of atoms is
eV = 13.6 Z2/n2.
Oxygen has Z = 8, so the 1S electron binding energy is 870 eV.

Bob S said:
I stated in another thread by HMS-776 that the ionization energy for one-electron bound states of atoms is eV = 13.6 Z2/n2.
Oxygen has Z = 8, so the 1S electron binding energy is 870 eV.

?:confused:

I think that the upper electron is as bound to the Oxygen ion O+ as the Hydrogen electron to proton so the Oxygen ionization energy should be of the same order (13 eV or so).

The excitation probability or cross section depends on the projectile energy in a specific way: it is zero before the ionization energy threshold, then it grows with the energy, attains a maximum and then decreases.

Bob_for_short;2345494I think that the upper electron is as bound to the Oxygen ion O[SUP said:
+[/SUP] as the Hydrogen electron to proton so the Oxygen ionization energy should be of the same order (13 eV or so).
QUOTE]
Thanks, short Bob. You are right, as usual. See Table of ionization energies (comma = period):
http://www.lenntech.com/Periodic-chart-elements/ionization-energy.htm
Long Bob

Related to Question on excitation energy?

1. What is excitation energy?

Excitation energy is the amount of energy required to move an electron from its ground state to a higher energy level. It can also refer to the energy released when an electron returns to its ground state.

2. How is excitation energy measured?

Excitation energy is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or joules (J). It can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy, where the amount of light absorbed or emitted by a substance is used to determine its excitation energy.

3. What factors affect excitation energy?

The excitation energy of an electron is affected by factors such as the energy level of the electron's initial and final states, the type of atom or molecule, and the presence of external forces such as electric or magnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of excitation energy?

Excitation energy plays a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes. It is important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as in fields such as materials science, biochemistry, and astrophysics.

5. How is excitation energy used in technology?

Excitation energy has various applications in technology, such as in the development of lasers, solar cells, and fluorescent dyes. It is also utilized in medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).