Question on Definition of Cover of a Set

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of σ-finite measures in measure theory. It is defined as a measure μ that can be written as the countable union of sets Ei with finite μ-measure. The question is whether this definition can also be expressed as the existence of an open cover for X with finite μ-measure for each set Ei. The speaker notes that while this is generally true, there are cases, such as the "rational counting" measure on the real line, where this converse claim is false.
BrainHurts
So when we have an open cover of a set X means we have a collection of sets [itex]\{ E_\alpha\}_{\alpha \in I}[/itex]

such that [itex] X \subset \bigcup_{\alpha \in I} E_\alpha [/itex].

My question comes from measure theory, on the question of finite [itex]\sigma[/itex] -measures,

The definition I'm readying says [itex]\mu[/itex] is [itex]\sigma [/itex] - finite if there exists sets [itex] E_i \in \mathcal{A}[/itex] for [itex]i = 1,2, ...[/itex] such that [itex]\mu(E_i) < \infty[/itex] for each [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]X = \bigcup_{i=1}^\infty E_i[/itex].

Can I say that μ is σ - finite if there exists an open cover for X such that μ(Ei)< ∞ for each i? Is my understanding correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make it a countable open cover, and you're good to go.

It merits note that the converse claim "If μ is σ-finite, then there exists a countable open cover {Ek} with μ(Ek) < ∞" (where X is a topological space and μ is a measure over the Borel algebra) is generally false.

jgens said:
It merits note that the converse claim "If μ is σ-finite, then there exists a countable open cover {Ek} with μ(Ek) < ∞" (where X is a topological space and μ is a measure over the Borel algebra) is generally false.

As an example, consider the "rational counting" measure [itex]\mu:\mathcal B_{\mathbb R}\to [0,\infty][/itex] on the real line. So [itex]\mu(A) = |A\cap\mathbb Q|[/itex]. The measure [itex]\mu[/itex] is [itex]\sigma[/itex]-finite, as witnessed by the countable Borel cover [itex]\{\{r\}:\enspace r\in\mathbb Q\}\cup\{\mathbb R\setminus\mathbb Q\}[/itex]. However, every nonempty open set has infinite [itex]\mu[/itex]-measure.

I cannot provide a definitive answer as this question is specific to measure theory and may require expertise in that area. However, I can provide some insights and suggestions for further clarification.

Based on the definitions provided, it seems that the concept of an open cover and the concept of a σ-finite measure are related but not equivalent. An open cover is a collection of sets that covers a given set, while a σ-finite measure is a measure that can be decomposed into a countable union of finite sets. In other words, an open cover is a property of a set, while a σ-finite measure is a property of a measure.

It is possible that for a given set X, there exists an open cover \{ E_\alpha\}_{\alpha \in I} such that X \subset \bigcup_{\alpha \in I} E_\alpha and each E_\alpha has a finite measure. However, this does not necessarily mean that X is σ-finite. This is because a set can have an uncountable number of open covers, and it is not necessary that all of these covers will have the property of σ-finite measure.

To answer your question, it is not accurate to say that μ is σ-finite if there exists an open cover for X such that μ(E_i)<∞ for each i. This statement may hold true in some cases, but it is not a general definition for σ-finite measures.

My suggestion would be to consult with a mathematician or a textbook on measure theory for a more precise understanding of these concepts. Also, it may be helpful to look at some examples and counterexamples to gain a better understanding of the relationship between open covers and σ-finite measures.

Related to Question on Definition of Cover of a Set

1. What is the definition of a cover of a set?

A cover of a set is a collection of subsets that, when combined, completely cover the elements of the original set.

2. How is a cover of a set different from a subset?

A cover of a set is a collection of subsets that cover all the elements of the original set, while a subset is a collection of elements that are contained within the original set.

3. What is the purpose of a cover of a set?

The purpose of a cover of a set is to ensure that all the elements of the original set are covered, making it easier to study and analyze the set as a whole.

4. Can a set have multiple covers?

Yes, a set can have multiple covers as long as each cover contains subsets that cover all the elements of the original set.

5. How is the minimum cover of a set determined?

The minimum cover of a set is determined by finding the smallest possible number of subsets that can cover all the elements of the original set.