Question ODE non-homogeneous Linear

In summary, the correct particular solution for the given ODE is xe^(-2x)sin(x). The given approach of using Heaviside's operational calculus without following the rules may not yield the correct solution. It would be better to use Laplace transforms or the method of undetermined coefficients. The x in the particular solution comes from trying to make the two homogeneous solutions as simple as possible.
Another
Mod note: Member warned that the homework template is NOT optional
find yp (particular integral)

(D2 + 4D + 5) y = 2 e-2xcos(x)

((D+2)(D+2)+1) y = 2 e-2xcos(x)

yp = [1/((D+2)2 + 1)] ⋅ 2e-2xcos(x)

yp = e(-3)x ∫ ∫ e-(-3)x⋅2e-2xcos(x)dxdx

yp = e(-3)x ∫ ∫ e3x ⋅ 2e-2xcos(x)dxdx

yp = e(-3)x ∫ (exsin(x)+excos(x))dx

yp = e(-3)x[-½ excos(x) + ½exsin(x) + ½exsin(x) + ½excos(x)]

yp = e(-3)x ⋅ ex sin(x)

yp = e(-2)x sin(x) ; this is my answer

But correct answer is x e(-2)x sin(x)

Why are there variables x ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try inserting your solution into the ODE to check if it solves it or not?

Did you try to insert the given solution into the ODE to check if it solves it or not?

Another said:
find yp (particular integral)

(D2 + 4D + 5) y = 2 e-2xcos(x)

((D+2)(D+2)+1) y = 2 e-2xcos(x)

yp = [1/((D+2)2 + 1)] ⋅ 2e-2xcos(x)

yp = e(-3)x ∫ ∫ e-(-3)x⋅2e-2xcos(x)dxdx

yp = e(-3)x ∫ ∫ e3x ⋅ 2e-2xcos(x)dxdx

yp = e(-3)x ∫ (exsin(x)+excos(x))dx

yp = e(-3)x[-½ excos(x) + ½exsin(x) + ½exsin(x) + ½excos(x)]

yp = e(-3)x ⋅ ex sin(x)

yp = e(-2)x sin(x) ; this is my answer

But correct answer is x e(-2)x sin(x)

Why are there variables x ?

You have not found a particular solution; you have found one of the two homogeneous solutions (that is, solutions which solve the DE with 0 on the right).

In general, I am extremely suspicious of your approach, because I do not trust expressions like ##[(D+2)^2+1]^{-1} f(x)##. You seem to be attempting to use Heaviside's Operational Calculus, but without sticking to the rules.

It would be better to use either
(1) Laplace transforms --- basically, a modern version of Heavisides's operational methods; or
(2) The method of undetermined coefficients.
Personally, I prefer (1), and it leads to exactly the particular solution ##x e^{-2x} \sin x## that somebody has told you is correct.

I am not sure how to answer your question about "why the x?". All I can say is that the two homogenous solutions ##y_1(x) = e^{-2x} \cos x## and ##y_2(x) = e^{-2x} \sin x## do not work, so trying something like ##c_1(x) y_1(x) + c_2(x) y_2(x)## is the obvious next step. If you look to make ##c_1(x)## and ##c_2(x)## as simple as possible, you would try linear functions ##c_i(x) = a_i + b_i x##, and then try to determine the ##a_i## and ##b_i##. That is more-or-less method (2) that I mentioned above. See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_undetermined_coefficients .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question ODE non-homogeneous Linear

1. What is a non-homogeneous linear ODE?

A non-homogeneous linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is an equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. This type of ODE can also be referred to as an inhomogeneous linear ODE.

2. How is a non-homogeneous linear ODE different from a homogeneous linear ODE?

A homogeneous linear ODE is an equation where the function and its derivatives are equal to zero, while a non-homogeneous linear ODE has a non-zero function. This difference in the function term makes the solution method for non-homogeneous linear ODEs more complex.

3. What is the process for solving a non-homogeneous linear ODE?

The process for solving a non-homogeneous linear ODE involves finding a particular solution and a complementary solution. The particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the non-homogeneous part of the equation, while the complementary solution satisfies the homogeneous part. The general solution is then the sum of these two solutions.

4. What are the methods for finding a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear ODE?

There are several methods for finding a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear ODE, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The method used depends on the form of the non-homogeneous term in the equation.

5. Can a non-homogeneous linear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous linear ODE can have multiple solutions. The general solution is a combination of the particular solution and the complementary solution, and the complementary solution can have multiple solutions depending on the form of the homogeneous part of the equation. However, the particular solution is unique for each non-homogeneous term.