Question for large quantum system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uncertainty in relation to derivatives for a large quantum system with many degrees of freedom. The question is posed whether it is true that σE/σt ~ dE/dt and potential reasons for this to be true are explored. The idea of exact decoherence leading to conservation of quantities that commute with the Hamiltonian is mentioned, as well as the relationship between energy uncertainty and the success of measurements. The conversation also mentions Griffith's proof regarding exact decoherence in energy states and the paper in which it is discussed.
JasonWuzHear
I'm trying to understand the concept of uncertainty in relation to derivatives for a large quantum system, i.e. one with many degrees of freedom.

When is it true that σE/σt ~ dE/dt? ---- 'σ' is the uncertainty

First, I know there is no time operator in quantum mechanics. I'm not sure how to work around that, perhaps we could try the question with momentum and position. The point is, for a large quantum system, can I approximate the rate of change of energy with the uncertainty of energy divided by the uncertainty of its age?I've tried unconventional methods to answer the question. First using an assumption that:

i/ħ d2/dt2 ψ = dE/dt ψ

then trying to compare it to the uncertainty calculation assumed as follows:

(σE)2 = (∫ ψ*Eψ dt)2 - ∫ ψ* E2 ψ dt

Which gives equal results for a Gaussian wave function. But I'm not sure how to go about this question in a more conventional way.

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonWuzHear said:
When is it true that σE/σt ~ dE/dt? ---- 'σ' is the uncertainty

Why do you think this should be true at all?

PeterDonis said:
Why do you think this should be true at all?

I was thinking of a couple reasons why it might be true.

For one, there is the Griffith's proof that Exact decoherence implies conservation of quantities that commute with the Hamiltonian. Exact decoherence in energy states is not different than saying the quantum uncertainty in energy is zero (there can still be some classical probabilities). This leads to the idea that when

dE/dt = 0 ⇒ σE = 0

which means that

σE/σt = 0 for σt ≠ 0

Additionally, if we take the momentum operator, P

if σP = 0, then
(P) (P) Ψ Ψ = (PΨ)2
and
σP/σx = 0 for σx ≠ 0

the particle is not influenced by a potential in this scenario, and momentum is conserved through space translations

dP/dx = 0

So it at least seems true to me for when the system conserves energy.

You can define the uncertainty as the average deviation from the mean value when the system collapses in that basis. If you take a system, periodically measure its energy with a period, T, and allow it to grow in energy uncertainty, σE, in between measurements, then the change in energy over time on average will be:

<dE/dt> = σE/T

I feel like there ought to be some relationship between T and t relating to the success of the measurement. If σt is much larger than σT, then the measurement is less likely to succeed. The larger your T, the larger σE can grow. This makes me want to multiply the thing above by (T σT)/(σt) if the probability of measurement success, Ps, is proportional to σT/σt which gives

σE = ("σE")T the energy uncertainty in quotes is some value not dependent on T
Ps ∝ σT/σt
<dE/dt> ∝ "σE"σT/σtThat's all I've got so far

Last edited:

Related to Question for large quantum system

1. What is a large quantum system?

A large quantum system is a physical system that contains a large number of particles or components, typically on the order of thousands or more. These particles behave according to the laws of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How is a large quantum system different from a small quantum system?

A small quantum system, such as an individual atom or molecule, can be described accurately using quantum mechanics. However, when a large number of particles are involved, the calculations become exponentially more complex and conventional methods are no longer applicable. Thus, the behavior of large quantum systems is much more difficult to predict and understand.

3. What are the applications of studying large quantum systems?

Understanding large quantum systems is crucial for many fields of science and technology, such as materials science, chemistry, and quantum computing. By studying these systems, we can gain insight into the behavior of matter at a fundamental level and develop new technologies and materials with unique properties.

4. How do scientists study large quantum systems?

Scientists use a variety of theoretical and experimental methods to study large quantum systems. These include computer simulations, mathematical models, and experiments using advanced technologies such as lasers and superconductors. Collaboration between different fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, is also important in understanding these complex systems.

5. What are the challenges in studying large quantum systems?

One of the main challenges in studying large quantum systems is the immense computational power and resources required to accurately model and simulate their behavior. Additionally, the delicate nature of quantum systems makes them difficult to observe and control, adding further complexity to the research. There is also a need for further theoretical developments to better understand and describe the behavior of these systems.