Question about when to use the Variational Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the complete spectrum (eigenvalues and eigenstates) of a particle in one dimension, described by the Hamiltonian H = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}+ \frac{1}{2}\gamma (x - a)^{2} + K(x - b), where m, gamma, K, a, and b are constants and x and p are the position and momentum of the particle, respectively. The question is whether to use the variational method and how to apply the Hamiltonian, specifically with regards to x and p being operators. The response suggests doing a change of variable for x to bring the Hamiltonian into a form of something familiar, such as the simple harmonic
rwooduk
Missing template due to originally being posted in a different forum.
Here is the question:

Find the complete spectrum (eigenvalues and eigenstates) of a particle in one dimension described by the Hamiltonian [tex]H = \frac{p^{2}}{2m}+ \frac{1}{2}\gamma (x - a)^{2} + K(x - b)[/tex]
where m,gamma,K,a,b are constants with K>gamma * a and x,p are the positionand momentum of the particle respectively.

We are not given the wavefunction so in this instance would I use the variational method? i.e. should I guess the wavefunction and apply:

[tex]E_{guess} = \frac{< \Psi_{guess} \mid H \mid \Psi_{guess} > }{< \Psi_{guess} \mid \Psi_{guess} >}[/tex]

I am really unsure about how to apply the Hamiltonian, are the x terms position operators since they are a part of the hamiltonian? do you have to expand the squared brackets? the momentum operator (again I am assuming its the operator because its in the Hamiltonian) is squared, so you have to do 2 derivatives of the guessed wavefunction?

Maybe I have misunderstood the question. I'm really confused so any pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:
Here is the question:
We are not given the wavefunction so in this instance would I use the variational method? i.e. should I guess the wavefunction and apply:

[tex]E_{guess} = \frac{< \Psi_{guess} \mid H \mid \Psi_{guess} > }{< \Psi_{guess} \mid \Psi_{guess} >}[/tex]

I am really unsure about how to apply the Hamiltonian, are the x terms position operators since they are a part of the hamiltonian? do you have to expand the squared brackets? the momentum operator (again I am assuming its the operator because its in the Hamiltonian) is squared, so you have to do 2 derivatives of the guessed wavefunction?

Maybe I have misunderstood the question. I'm really confused so any pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.
They want the exact result, so simply see if you can do a change of variable for x that will bring the hamiltonian in the form of something you already know (plus a constant)

Likes rwooduk
atyy said:
Is this a homework problem?

Hi, no its not for any assessed homework, the course is 100% exam based. The question was given in a problem set and I'm trying to see how (or if) it relates to the variational method we are covering at the moment.

nrqed said:
They want the exact result, so simply see if you can do a change of variable for x that will bring the hamiltonian in the form of something you already know (plus a constant)

Hi, Thanks, I can see that it resembles the Hamiltonian for the simple harmonic oscillator, but isn't x an operator? is it ok to change it?

thanks for the help

rwooduk said:
Hi, no its not for any assessed homework, the course is 100% exam based. The question was given in a problem set and I'm trying to see how (or if) it relates to the variational method we are covering at the moment.
Hi, Thanks, I can see that it resembles the Hamiltonian for the simple harmonic oscillator, but isn't x an operator? is it ok to change it?

thanks for the help
If we are working in coordinate space, x is just a variable so it is ok to shift it. You are right, this is essentially the harmonic oscillator. The wave functions are the same but the energy is shifted by a constant (which you can work out)

Likes rwooduk
nrqed said:
If we are working in coordinate space, x is just a variable so it is ok to shift it. You are right, this is essentially the harmonic oscillator. The wave functions are the same but the energy is shifted by a constant (which you can work out)

So you're saying since the hamiltonian is that of a simple harmonic oscillator I should use the associated SHO wavefunction for this problem? You don't have to guess what the wavefunction would be? I don't understand why a wavefunction isn't given in the question, does the Hamiltonian determine what the wavefunction should be? (doesnt make sense, seems backwards i.e. shouldn't the wavefunction should determine what Hamiltonian you use) And the question says to find the eigenstates (wavefunctions)

also:

May I ask a side question on correct interpretation of bra and ket?

[tex]< \Psi_{guess} \mid H \mid \Psi_{guess} > = \int \Psi^{*} H \Psi dv [/tex]

but

[tex]\mid H \mid \Psi_{guess} > \neq \int H \Psi dv [/tex]

is that correct? i.e. you need a complete bra ket to interpret it as an integral?

thanks again for any help

Last edited:
bump, does anyone have any more suggestions?

Hamiltonian doesn't determine the wavefunction. All it does is determine how a wavefunction develops in time, namely through the (time dependent) Schroedinger equation.

Separation of variables leads to interest in time-independent solutions of the Schroedinger equation and triggers the hunt for eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. For these we write the (time-independent) S.E: Hψ = Eψ.

The wave function does not determine the Hamiltonian. The wave function is a description of a state. What happens to the state depends on the circumstances: one can have kinetic energy conservation, total energy conservation, etc.

Re bra-ket interpretation: You can't write | H |ψ> : the left | is part of the bra. H |ψ> is a state resulting from letting operator H work on state |ψ>.

For eigenfunctions (steady states) the operator is a simple multiplcation.

Likes rwooduk
BvU said:
Hamiltonian doesn't determine the wavefunction. All it does is determine how a wavefunction develops in time, namely through the (time dependent) Schroedinger equation.

Separation of variables leads to interest in time-independent solutions of the Schroedinger equation and triggers the hunt for eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. For these we write the (time-independent) S.E: Hψ = Eψ.

The wave function does not determine the Hamiltonian. The wave function is a description of a state. What happens to the state depends on the circumstances: one can have kinetic energy conservation, total energy conservation, etc.

Re bra-ket interpretation: You can't write | H |ψ> : the left | is part of the bra. H |ψ> is a state resulting from letting operator H work on state |ψ>.

For eigenfunctions (steady states) the operator is a simple multiplcation.

Thats very helpful thanks!

Also I found a useful youtube example for those interested:

THANKS ALL!

Related to Question about when to use the Variational Method

1. What is the Variational Method?

The Variational Method is a mathematical approach used to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. It involves choosing a trial function and minimizing its energy to find an approximation of the true ground state energy.

2. When should the Variational Method be used?

The Variational Method is typically used when there is no analytical solution available for the system being studied. It can also be used when the system is too complex to solve using other methods.

3. How does the Variational Method work?

The Variational Method works by choosing a trial function, which is a mathematical expression that describes the system being studied. This function is then used to calculate the energy of the system, and the trial function is adjusted until the energy is minimized, providing an approximation of the true ground state energy.

4. What are the advantages of using the Variational Method?

One advantage of using the Variational Method is that it can provide a good approximation of the ground state energy without needing to solve the full Schrödinger equation. It is also a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Variational Method?

One limitation of the Variational Method is that the accuracy of the approximation depends on the choice of trial function. If the trial function is not a good representation of the actual system, the resulting energy approximation may not be accurate. It also requires a lot of computational power for complex systems.