Question about uniform charge distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at the midpoint of a wire with uniform line charge density. The method used involves considering an element length dx at distance x from the midpoint of the wire, and integrating from x=-l/2 to x=+l/2. The conversation also addresses how to handle cases where the charge distribution is not uniform.
Chemmjr18
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
Suppose you have a wire of length l and a uniform line charge density λ. Find the electric field at the midpoint that is height r above the x-axis

Homework Equations

(see attached)

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve, I used the following method.
20170622_170215.jpg

Could you help me find the flaw in my method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your image link appears to be broken. Please upload your image to the PF server (use the UPLOAD button).

Sorry about that. Here's my attempt. I think it has something to do with how I'm integrating.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 369
Chemmjr18 said:
Sorry about that. Here's my attempt. I think it has something to do with how I'm integrating.
You may be confusing yourself by using l as the length of the wire and as the position of an element within it. Better to consider an element length dx at distance x from the midpoint of the wire, and integrate from x=-l/2 to x=+l/2.

Likes Chemmjr18
Thanks. I just want to make sure I understand this. When finding the electric field caused by some charge spread out uniformly over a line, circle, surface, or volume, what I need to do is find the electric field caused by some infinitesimally small piece of charge, dq, which is dE. The limits of integration will depend on the surface. The infinitesimally small charge, dq, is equal to the density of the charge times the length, area, or volume. Lastly, and perhaps the step I find most difficult, I need to find how the function I'm integrating, dE, varies with what I'm integrating over. For example, in this case, I'm integrating over the x-axis. Therefore, I have to determine how dE varies across the x-axis. In this case,

dE=(dq)/(x2+r2)3/2

And one last question, what if the field wasn't uniform? I can't think of any particular cases, but I still think it's something that could come up quite often. Again, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Chemmjr18 said:
Thanks. I just want to make sure I understand this. When finding the electric field caused by some charge spread out uniformly over a line, circle, surface, or volume, what I need to do is find the electric field caused by some infinitesimally small piece of charge, dq, which is dE. The limits of integration will depend on the surface. The infinitesimally small charge, dq, is equal to the density of the charge times the length, area, or volume. Lastly, and perhaps the step I find most difficult, I need to find how the function I'm integrating, dE, varies with what I'm integrating over. For example, in this case, I'm integrating over the x-axis. Therefore, I have to determine how dE varies across the x-axis. In this case,

dE=(dq)/(x2+r2)3/2
That is a correct description if you qualify the field references to be just the component in the normal direction. (That's where the square root comes from in the expression.)
Chemmjr18 said:
what if the field wasn't uniform?
I assume you meant if the charge is not uniform. No problem. In the uniform distribution dq=λdx for some constant λ. If the charge density at x is f(x) then dq=f(x).dx.

Likes Chemmjr18
Thanks for the help!

Related to Question about uniform charge distribution

What is uniform charge distribution?

Uniform charge distribution refers to the distribution of electric charge in a system where the charge is evenly spread out across the entire system.

Why is uniform charge distribution important?

Uniform charge distribution is important because it allows for a more stable and predictable electric field. This is especially useful in technology and engineering applications.

How is uniform charge distribution measured?

Uniform charge distribution is typically measured using electric field sensors or by calculating the electric flux through a surface surrounding the charge distribution.

What factors can affect uniform charge distribution?

Factors such as the shape and size of the charged object, the presence of other nearby charged objects, and the dielectric properties of the surrounding materials can all affect uniform charge distribution.

How is uniform charge distribution related to Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Uniform charge distribution helps to simplify the calculation of this force, making it easier to apply Coulomb's law in practical situations.