Question about the ideal gas law

In summary: In this case, PV^\gamma =constant, where gamma is a constant greater than 1 that is related to the specific heats of the gas.
korneld
Hi,

I have a question about the ideal gas law.

I have been under the impression that if volume goes down then pressure and temperature go up. But, if you look at the equation T=PV/nR, it seems that if volume, say, doubles, pressure will be halved and vice-versa. While that makes sense, it also leaves the temperature constant. Doesn’t that conflict with real life observations?

Thank you,

Kory

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the specific situation.

For example, if you have a cylinder of gas that is at a fixed volume then obviously V can't change. In that case when you double pressure you will double temperature because PV=nRT.

Last edited:
Pressure, density (n/V), and temperature are 3 quantities related by the gas law. If you change one of them, you don't know how the other two change; you need more information. So for example, if you slowly compress a gas that's in contact with a heat reservoir, then T=constant and so PV = constant. OTOH, if you do the compression while not allowing heat to escape, it's an adiabatic process, and temperature will increase. It turns out that in that case, [itex]PV^\gamma[/itex] = constant, where gamma is a constant > 1 related to the specific heats.

Follow-up question

Thank you for your replies.

Basically, I am looking for the right way to calculate how much the temperature of a body of gas will increase in a cylinder if it’s compressed so much by a piston.

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Well if you consider the compression to be adiabatic (which it is likely to be in a piston) you can use the following equation;

[tex]\frac{T_{f}}{T_{i}} = \left( \frac{V_{i}}{V_{f}} \right)^{\gamma -1} = \left( \frac{P_{f}}{P_{i}} \right)^{\frac{\gamma -1}{\gamma}}[/tex]

-Hoot

korneld said:
if you look at the equation T=PV/nR, it seems that if volume, say, doubles, pressure will be halved and vice-versa. While that makes sense, it also leaves the temperature constant. Doesn’t that conflict with real life observations?

It depends on the situation. If the piston is in equliibrium with a constant-temperature reservoir, and heat can flow rapidly enough between the piston and the reservoir, then the temperature of the gas inside the piston remains constant. This is more likely to be possible if you compress or expand the gas slowly.

On the other hand, if you insulate the piston so as to isolate it thermally from its surroundings, or if you compress/expand the gas rapidly enough that there's not enough time for a significant amount of heat to flow in or out, then you have an adiabatic process described by Hootenanny's equation.

Related to Question about the ideal gas law

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law at all pressures and temperatures. It is characterized by having particles that are point masses with no volume, no intermolecular forces, and perfectly elastic collisions.

3. What are the units of the ideal gas law?

The units of the ideal gas law depend on the units used for pressure, volume, temperature, and the gas constant. Some common units include atmospheres (atm) for pressure, liters (L) for volume, Kelvin (K) for temperature, and joules per mole-kelvin (J/mol*K) for the gas constant.

4. How is the ideal gas law derived?

The ideal gas law is derived from the combined gas law, which is a combination of Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. It can also be derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the average kinetic energy of gas particles is proportional to the temperature of the gas.

5. What are the limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in real life. Real gases have volume and experience intermolecular forces, so they do not follow the ideal gas law at all pressures and temperatures. Additionally, the ideal gas law assumes that the particles of the gas are point masses, which is not always true. Finally, the ideal gas law is most accurate at low pressures and high temperatures, and becomes less accurate at higher pressures and lower temperatures.