Question about Rydberg equation and molecular orbital

In summary: Glad I could help!In summary, The Rydberg equation is only applicable to hydrogen-like systems with one electron, and molecular orbitals are used to simplify the theory of a more complicated many-electron system. The book "The Physics of the Chemical Bond" by the unknown author is a good reference for this topic, although it may be too advanced for high school level. Another possible resource is the book "Molecular Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions" by Ian Fleming.
f24u7
Hi, I have a little question about atomic models

1. Does Rydberg equation only apply to hydrogen

2. What is the purpose and limitations of molecular obitals

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f24u7 said:
Hi, I have a little question about atomic models

1. Does Rydberg equation only apply to hydrogen
In principle it should only be applied to hydrogen-like systems--systems with one electron in a Coulomb potential. Anything beyond a one-electron (or effectively one-electron) systems is not exactly solvable, and a Rydberg-type equation involving one-electron energy differences is, in principle, wrong.
2. What is the purpose and limitations of molecular obitals
The purpose is to give a simple one-electron type of theory to a more complication many-electron system (a molecule). The limitation are legion, but interestingly molecular orbitals are still useful. A reference that I like regarding orbital theories is a book called "The Physics of the Chemical Bond". The author escapes me at the moment.

I was wondering if the book is suitable for high school level?

Thanks for the answer. the explanation is very clear

f24u7 said:
I was wondering if the book is suitable for high school level?
hmm... I'm not sure. But, probably it is too advanced for a high school text. Regardless, here is a link to the book on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486660214/?tag=pfamazon01-20
maybe you can have a look and see if you think it is too advanced.

Googling for a high school text on molecular orbitals found me this book which perhaps is useful:
http://caltechbook.library.caltech.edu/23/1/MOC_1961.pdf
have a look and let me know. cheers.

Thanks for the answer. the explanation is very clear
you're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about Rydberg equation and molecular orbital

1. What is the Rydberg equation and how is it related to molecular orbital theory?

The Rydberg equation is a mathematical formula that describes the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom. It is also applicable to other atoms and molecules. In molecular orbital theory, the Rydberg equation is used to calculate the energy levels of electrons in molecular orbitals.

2. How is the Rydberg equation derived?

The Rydberg equation is derived from the Bohr model of the atom, which states that the energy of an electron in an atom is quantized and can only exist at specific energy levels. The equation is also based on the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of the hydrogen atom's spectral series.

3. What information can be obtained from the Rydberg equation?

The Rydberg equation can be used to calculate the energy of an electron in a specific energy level of an atom or molecule. It can also be used to determine the wavelength of the light emitted or absorbed during an electronic transition between energy levels.

4. How is the Rydberg equation applied in spectroscopy?

In spectroscopy, the Rydberg equation is used to calculate the wavelengths of the spectral lines in an atomic or molecular spectrum. By analyzing these wavelengths, scientists can identify the elements or molecules present in a sample and study their electronic structure.

5. What are the limitations of the Rydberg equation?

The Rydberg equation is only accurate for simple atoms and molecules, and it does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions. It also does not apply to more complex molecules with multiple atoms. In addition, the Rydberg equation is only valid for systems in which the nucleus is much more massive than the orbiting electron.