Question about quantum physics and possible shortcomings

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the Schrodinger equation as a mathematical model in quantum physics and the confusion surrounding the association of a probabilistic function with it. The speaker questions the limitations of using a deterministic model in such a way and seeks insight from others.
galoisjr
I was originally an applied math major and about 2 years ago doubled up with a major in physics... Being an applied math major, I have had quite a few courses in mathematical modeling, and there was always something that bugged me about quantum physics. I figured that I would figure it out once I finally took a couple of courses in quantum, and even asked my professor, but this question has yet to be answered for me:

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical model, or sometimes also referred to as a deterministic model... So why in the world are we associating a probabilistic function with it?

I'm not saying that it's wrong or that it doesn't provide insight, because it most definitely does and obviously has provided quite a revolution in modern technology. However, it does seem rather limiting to use a mathematical model in such a way...

Does anyone understand what I'm saying? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
galoisjr said:
The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical model, or sometimes also referred to as a deterministic model... So why in the world are we associating a probabilistic function with it?
The Schrödinger equation determines a wave function w/o any uncertainty, probability, indeterminism or something like that. But what we are doing is to interpret this wave function as a probability density (of finding a single particle in a certain region).

galoisjr said:

Because experimental outcomes are probabilistic, in general, as far as we know.

Related to Question about quantum physics and possible shortcomings

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe and has led to many technological advancements, such as computers and lasers.

2. What are some of the possible shortcomings of quantum physics?

Some possible shortcomings of quantum physics include its inability to fully explain gravity, its reliance on complex mathematical equations, and the difficulty in reconciling it with classical physics.

3. Can quantum physics be used to explain the behavior of macroscopic objects?

While quantum physics is primarily used to explain the behavior of microscopic objects, it has also been applied to describe certain phenomena in macroscopic objects, such as superconductivity and superfluidity.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is a fundamental principle of quantum physics and highlights the probabilistic nature of the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum physics?

Yes, there are many practical applications of quantum physics, including transistors, lasers, and medical imaging technologies. It is also being researched for potential applications in cryptography, quantum computing, and communication technologies.