Question about problem solving approach to Gauss' Law

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for finding the volume of a sphere using Gauss's Law. The first method involved taking the volume of a larger sphere and subtracting the volume of a smaller sphere, while the second method involved using the formula (4/3) * PI * (r)^3 - (4/3) * PI * (R1)^3. The second method was deemed correct because (x-y)^3 is not the same as x^3-y^3.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Hi, I am studying gauss's law via this book below.[/B]
http://faculty.polytechnic.org/cfle...2_web_pdfs_2010/i-Ch14-PCALC--GAUSS'S LAW.pdf

On page 8, and 9, the book describes the shell method of finding the volume of the sphere and then using the area charge density to find the charge.

I tried it a different method:

volume of a sphere is (4/3) * PI * R^3, so I wrote that the volume was (4/3) * PI * (r-R1)^3.
This makes sense to me: I take the volume of the larger sphere and subtract the volume of the smaller sphere with radiuses "r" and "R1" accordingly.

Could anyone please explain to me why my method is wrong, as I got a totally different answer?

Thank you!

Homework Equations

gauss's law

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt is recorded above[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
is it because of the linear function of the charge density?

RoboNerd said:
(4/3) * PI * (r-R1)^3.
That does not give you the difference in volume between two spheres. It gives you the volume of a sphere of radius r-R1.

ohh I should have done(4/3) * PI * (r)^3 -
(4/3) * PI * (R1)^3.

yes?

RoboNerd said:
ohh I should have done(4/3) * PI * (r)^3 -
(4/3) * PI * (R1)^3.

yes?
Yes.

So why could I have not done the first method? Why is it wrong?

RoboNerd said:
So why could I have not done the first method? Why is it wrong?
Because (x-y)3 is not the same as x3-y3.

OK, thanks!

Related to Question about problem solving approach to Gauss' Law

1. What is Gauss' Law and why is it important?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charges.

2. How do you approach problem solving with Gauss' Law?

First, identify the symmetry of the problem and choose a Gaussian surface that takes advantage of that symmetry. Then, use Gauss' Law to relate the electric flux through the surface to the enclosed charge. Finally, use known values and algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown quantity.

3. What are some common mistakes when using Gauss' Law to solve problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong Gaussian surface, which can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is not properly considering the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the surface, which can also result in incorrect solutions.

4. Can Gauss' Law be applied to any situation involving electric charges?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any situation involving static electric charges, as long as the electric field is constant and the charges are not changing over time.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to Gauss' Law?

One limitation is that Gauss' Law only applies to static electric fields, so it cannot be used to analyze situations involving changing electric fields. There are also some exceptions, such as in cases where the electric field is not uniform or when the enclosed charge is not spherically symmetric.