Question about potential for this mechanical force problem

In summary, External Energy is the energy that is exerted on an object by something outside of the object.
Zouatine
Hi! hope you are doing well ,

I'm trying to solve this problem ( mechanical problem) about structure with load F as it showing in the next figure , i want to determine to critical force F , the stability force ( which means if my load is bigger than the critical load my system will be unstable) ,so to get i have to do by Energy method which means i have to use potential ,in this step i have some questions :

1- why the External Energy must be with negative sign ?
2 - what does mean the total potential is Stationary ?

&é.JPG
&é.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework. It it?

hi thank you for your comment!

,no it's not , solution of the exercise i already know it , i said i have to use Energy method , which mean the first step to solve it : Total Energy = Internal Energy + External Energy ,
Internal Energy is the energy in the Spring , and for External Energy is the Energy cause by external Force , which it's = Force * Displacement ( cause by this force F), but my question here why we have to do sign mince in the formula of External Energy because the formula must be External Energy = - Force * Displacement, ?
when we get the total Energy we must to derivation of Total Energy corresponding to displacement =0 .
d(Total Energy )/d(displacement) =0 because the potential is Stationary , and here is my second question what does mean the potential is Stationary ?

i know the process how to solve but i have these two questions , thank you hope my problem is clear now

What exactly do you mean by "External Energy"? This is not a term I've ever heard before, so perhaps you could define it before we try to talk about it.

hello , thank you for your comment , sorry i made a mistake , i want to say external work , External Work= Work has done by the External Forces , Thanks and sorry again ,

Related to Question about potential for this mechanical force problem

1. What is the definition of mechanical force?

Mechanical force is a type of physical force that is exerted by a physical object or system on another object or system. It can cause an object to move, change shape, or experience stress.

2. How is mechanical force measured?

Mechanical force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or a force gauge. This device measures the amount of force being applied to an object and displays the result in newtons.

3. What are some examples of mechanical force?

Some common examples of mechanical force include pushing, pulling, friction, tension, compression, and shear. These forces can be observed in everyday activities such as walking, lifting objects, and using tools.

4. How does mechanical force affect motion?

Mechanical force can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, change direction, or remain at rest. This is described by Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain in its current state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding mechanical force?

Understanding mechanical force is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to design structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as to analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems under different forces.