Question about particle physics in general

In summary, fermions are particles with half-integer spins, while bosons are particles with integer spins. Fermions can be divided into quarks and leptons, while bosons cannot. Mesons, despite being composed of two quarks, are considered bosons because they have integral spins. This categorization is not always accurate, as not all particles can be easily classified as fermions or bosons based on their spin.
Thundagere
So I read that fermions can be defined as "matter particles," while bosons can be defined as "force carrier particles." I read further that fermions can be divided into quarks and leptons.
However, apparently mesons are considered bosons, as a consequence of their spins. Does that mean that, despite being composed of two quarks, a fermion, mesons are bosons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thundagere said:
So I read that fermions can be defined as "matter particles," while bosons can be defined as "force carrier particles." I read further that fermions can be divided into quarks and leptons.
However, apparently mesons are considered bosons, as a consequence of their spins. Does that mean that, despite being composed of two quarks, a fermion, mesons are bosons?

This categorization is incorrect, and is not general.

Fermions are "particles" with integral 1/2 spins, i.e. spin of 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, etc. An electron is a fermion, and it CANNOT be divided into quarks and leptons.

A boson has integral spin, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. A photon is a boson, it definitely is not composed of 2 quarks.

Zz.

So the particles defined by their spin, and not by whether they are matter particles or force particles?

Related to Question about particle physics in general

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is the branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. These particles include atoms, subatomic particles such as protons and neutrons, and even smaller particles like quarks and leptons.

2. What is the standard model of particle physics?

The standard model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and three of the four known fundamental forces (excluding gravity). It explains how these particles interact and provides a framework for understanding the properties of matter at a subatomic level.

3. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and why is it important?

The Large Hadron Collider is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It is used to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and smash them together in order to study the resulting collisions and search for new particles and phenomena. It has played a crucial role in confirming the existence of the Higgs boson and continues to push the boundaries of our understanding of particle physics.

4. What is dark matter and why is it important in particle physics?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is estimated to make up around 85% of the total matter in the universe, but its exact nature is still unknown. Its study is important in particle physics because it could provide clues about the composition of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.

5. How do particle accelerators work?

Particle accelerators use electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to very high speeds. These particles are then steered and focused using magnetic fields before being collided with a target or other particles. The resulting collisions can create new particles or energies that can be studied by scientists. Advanced accelerators, such as the LHC, use superconducting magnets and complex systems to achieve even higher speeds and energies.