Question about net force/acceleration/constant velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constant velocity and net force being equal to 0. The question is raised on how this can occur in scenarios where there are applied forces that are not equal to 0, such as a hockey puck being pushed on snowy ice or a book being pushed across a table. The explanation is that static friction must be overcome to initially move the object and then kinetic friction is involved, causing the object to accelerate until the force is reduced to match the friction. The acceleration of an object with constant speed but changing direction only can be calculated through complex math, with an example being a car making maneuvers while at constant speed.
phosgenic
I read in my textbook that an object can have constant velocity when net force and acceleration are equal to 0. For an example like a puck on frictionless ice that continues to move after it has had a force applied to it that is all good and fine, I understand that inertia keeps the puck moving.

I am wondering how in an example similar to the above, the object can have constant velocity and net force can be equal to 0, with horizontally applied forces that are NOT equal to 0. For example, a puck being pushed by a hockey stick on some snowy ice, or me pushing a book across a table. Doesn't the applied force from the hockey stick or the force from my hand have to be greater than the force of friction from the ice or the table for the puck or book to move? if this is true, then net force is not equal to 0, yet the puck/book still has constant velocity and now all of Newton's principles make no sense to me. I'm hoping someone can clarify this/these concept(s).

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll add one more question here, how would you calculate (not specifically, just conceptually) the acceleration of an object that has constant speed but changing direction only?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

phosgenic said:
I read in my textbook that an object can have constant velocity when net force and acceleration are equal to 0. For an example like a puck on frictionless ice that continues to move after it has had a force applied to it that is all good and fine, I understand that inertia keeps the puck moving.

I am wondering how in an example similar to the above, the object can have constant velocity and net force can be equal to 0, with horizontally applied forces that are NOT equal to 0. For example, a puck being pushed by a hockey stick on some snowy ice, or me pushing a book across a table. Doesn't the applied force from the hockey stick or the force from my hand have to be greater than the force of friction from the ice or the table for the puck or book to move? if this is true, then net force is not equal to 0, yet the puck/book still has constant velocity and now all of Newton's principles make no sense to me. I'm hoping someone can clarify this/these concept(s).

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll add one more question here, how would you calculate (not specifically, just conceptually) the acceleration of an object that has constant speed but changing direction only?

It seems like your question is of the form, "if I deliberately envision a scenario where Newton's laws are violated, then I find that Newton's laws aren't obeyed. What's going on?" I'm not being facetious here. I just think that contradiction is there because you put it there.

If the puck has a non-zero net force acting on it, then it will have a non-zero acceleration. That's all there is to it.

phosgenic said:
For example, a puck being pushed by a hockey stick on some snowy ice, or me pushing a book across a table. Doesn't the applied force from the hockey stick or the force from my hand have to be greater than the force of friction from the ice or the table for the puck or book to move?
Static friction has to be overcome to get the puck to initially move, and then kinetic (sliding) friction is involved. The puck will accelerate until the force is reduced to match kinetic friction.

phosgenic said:
I'll add one more question here, how would you calculate (not specifically, just conceptually) the acceleration of an object that has constant speed but changing direction only?
The math can be complex, but one example where this is commonly done is a car making maneuvers (turns) while at constant speed. The path can be just about any shape (spiral, parabola, hypebola, ellipse, circle, sine wave, ...) that doesn't have sharp inflection points (corners with a radius of 0).

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Static friction has to be overcome to get the puck to initially move, and then kinetic (sliding) friction is involved. The puck will accelerate until the force is reduced to match kinetic friction.

The math can be complex, but one example where this is commonly done is a car making maneuvers (turns) while at constant speed. The path can be just about any shape (spiral, parabola, hypebola, ellipse, circle, sine wave, ...) that doesn't have sharp inflection points (corners with a radius of 0).

Good answer, thanks. And no, I wasn't trying to envision a scenario to violate Newton's laws. In the situation I presented they aren't violated, I just couldn't understand how they were operating in that context, as the examples that are given in my textbook/lectures are similar to the first example I gave.

Last edited:

First off, it is important to understand that the concept of net force and acceleration are closely related. Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. When net force is equal to 0, it means that the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no acceleration. This can result in the object having constant velocity, as seen in the example of the puck on frictionless ice.

In the case of the puck being pushed by a hockey stick or a book being pushed across a table, there are indeed forces acting on the object. However, the key factor here is the direction of these forces. In the case of the puck, the force from the hockey stick is in the same direction as the motion of the puck, while the force of friction from the ice is in the opposite direction. These forces cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of 0 and constant velocity.

This concept can be applied to your second question as well. When an object has constant speed but changing direction only, it means that the net force acting on the object is always perpendicular to its motion. This is known as centripetal force, and it is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular path. The magnitude of this force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

In summary, constant velocity is possible when net force is equal to 0, as the forces acting on the object are balanced. This can occur even when there are applied forces that are not equal to 0, as long as they are in opposite directions or perpendicular to the object's motion. I hope this helps clarify these concepts for you.

Related to Question about net force/acceleration/constant velocity

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. It is the combination of all the individual forces acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be represented mathematically as Fnet = ΣF.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

4. How is acceleration related to net force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to net force and inversely proportional to mass. This means that the greater the net force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive the object, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same net force.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity while experiencing a net force?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity while experiencing a net force. This is because a net force will always cause a change in an object's motion, either by increasing or decreasing its speed or changing its direction. A constant velocity means there is no change in an object's motion, and therefore, no net force acting on it.