Question about modeling compounds ie: Play Doh

In summary: But if you still are skeptical there's an alternative that I've used in my lab, for when I need a "thingy" of a certain shape (wedge, shim, spacer...that sort of thing). I take a large piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it into what I need. I use a small hammer to densify it so it's not too flimsy. Of course it won't hold a lot of weight, but for a cheap, quick "thingy" it sometimes does the trick.
Capt. Obvious
I'm making something I can rest a camera on, face down, that needs to hold it in the same position upon being taken out and put back in. The camera has a "streamline" type design so I've decided to use some sort of molding that will fit its contours. I am at a loss as far as knowing what compound should be used for this.

In short, I'm looking for a compound with the consistency of clay that isn't too sticky and will harden in less than a day without changing shape significantly, and stay that way for at least a year.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpey" , if you have access to an oven. It's great stuff, easy to work with, plus it comes in all sorts of colors.

It's available at arts and crafts stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey you're about to have 1000 posts

I'm not too sure about putting that stuff in my oven, sounds unhealthy

Capt. Obvious said:
hey you're about to have 1000 posts

Wow, I am! Too bad posts in GD don't count, I'd be way over 1000 by now.

rootX said:

Nice :smile:.

Well Capt., if you're concerned about toxicity, you can consult the company's web site.

Polyform Products Company is a member of the Art and Creative Materials Institute (ACMI), the leading authority on art and creative materials. Through this membership, all of our products undergo rigorous toxicological testing before they are allowed to bear the ACMI certification seals. These seals let the consumer know that we conform to ASTM D 4236, the chronic hazard labeling standard that is now part of the US Federal Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act (LHAMA). For more information on ACMI and certification seals, go to www.acminet.org.

http://www.sculpey.com/faq/safety"

But if you still are skeptical there's an alternative that I've used in my lab, for when I need a "thingy" of a certain shape (wedge, shim, spacer...that sort of thing). I take a large piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it into what I need. I use a small hammer to densify it so it's not too flimsy. Of course it won't hold a lot of weight, but for a cheap, quick "thingy" it sometimes does the trick.

Capt. Obvious said:
I'm making something I can rest a camera on, face down, that needs to hold it in the same position upon being taken out and put back in. The camera has a "streamline" type design so I've decided to use some sort of molding that will fit its contours. I am at a loss as far as knowing what compound should be used for this.

In short, I'm looking for a compound with the consistency of clay that isn't too sticky and will harden in less than a day without changing shape significantly, and stay that way for at least a year.

thanks
Go to a hobby shop, they'll have whatever you need, but it it remains soft, you'll have to do a bit of reshaping everytime you replace the camera, obviously.

lisab said:
Nice :smile:.

Well Capt., if you're concerned about toxicity, you can consult the company's web site.

http://www.sculpey.com/faq/safety"

But if you still are skeptical there's an alternative that I've used in my lab, for when I need a "thingy" of a certain shape (wedge, shim, spacer...that sort of thing). I take a large piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it into what I need. I use a small hammer to densify it so it's not too flimsy. Of course it won't hold a lot of weight, but for a cheap, quick "thingy" it sometimes does the trick.
aluminum foil, should have thought of it myself

Related to Question about modeling compounds ie: Play Doh

What is the purpose of modeling compounds like Play Doh?

The purpose of modeling compounds like Play Doh is to provide a fun and tactile way for children to explore their creativity and develop their fine motor skills. It can also be used for educational purposes in science and math activities.

What are the main ingredients in Play Doh?

The main ingredients in Play Doh are water, flour, salt, borax, and mineral oil. Some variations may also include food coloring and scents.

Is Play Doh safe for children to play with?

Play Doh is generally considered safe for children to play with, but it is recommended that children do not ingest it. It is also important to supervise young children while they are playing with Play Doh to prevent them from attempting to eat it.

Can Play Doh be reused?

Yes, Play Doh can be reused multiple times as long as it is stored properly. It is recommended to keep it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.

How can Play Doh be used in scientific experiments?

Play Doh can be used in various scientific experiments to demonstrate concepts such as states of matter, chemical reactions, and properties of matter. It can also be used to build models and structures for engineering activities.