Question about measuring the internal resistance of power supplies

In summary, a low resistance resistor is used to measure the internal resistance of a power supply in order to limit the voltage drop. This is important for stable regulation.
yubson
In measuring the internal resistance of a power supply, why is a resistor with low resistance used?

Engineering news on Phys.org
yubson said:
In measuring the internal resistance of a power supply, why is a resistor with low resistance used?
Who says that it is? You need to be more specific in your question. I think you have misunderstood something.

Likes davenn
I don't know exactly how you are using the low resistance here, but speaking generally,
the internal resistance of a power supply is a low value to give good load regulation, so to measure it by measuring the change in voltage at varying loads, you will see the biggest voltage drop when you draw the maximum current. That means using the lowest load resistance that will not overload the supply.

yubson said:
Are you talking about an ammeter? Could you be more clear?

yubson said:
lekh2003 said:
Are you talking about an ammeter? Could you be more clear?

no

he's referring to the actual internal resistance
We say a battery has an internal resistance, the value of which is determined by the chemical composition etc
it is what limits the short circuit current value

from Wiki

1. Internal resistance
    th?id=Ab781aa03e80935df37f9252f5181a278&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.jpg

A practical electrical power source which is a linear electric circuit may, according to Thévenin's theorem, be represented as an ideal voltage source in series with an impedance. This impedance is termed the internal resistance of the source. When the power source delivers current, the measured voltage output is lower than the no-load voltage; the difference is the voltage drop caused by the internal resistance. The concept of internal resistance applies to all kinds of electrical sources and is useful for analyzing many types of electrical circuits.

how to measure internal resistance of a battery ...

I never really hear anyone talking about the internal resistance of a non-battery PSU ... I would assume it would also have one

ahhhh here's some info...
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/output-resistance-of-dc-supplies.54138/

Dave

Attachments

• th?id=Ab781aa03e80935df37f9252f5181a278&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.jpg
    th?id=Ab781aa03e80935df37f9252f5181a278&w=110&h=110&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,050
yubson said:
I think you are just asking why they use a low resistance load on the power supply. The reason is that the voltage drop with a high current is greater and easy to measure. If you know the Voltage lost (open circuit volts minus test volts) and the current being supplied, it will tell you the value of the Series Resistance that's in the box.
It's only an approximate answer because many power supplies will not have an unvarying internal resistance.

Likes Merlin3189
davenn said:
I never really hear anyone talking about the internal resistance of a non-battery PSU ... I would assume it would also have one
Some power supplies have virtually no internal impedance within their design operating range. The voltage stays the same no matter the output current.

David Lewis said:
Some power supplies have virtually no internal impedance within their design operating range. The voltage stays the same no matter the output current.
For the regulation to be stable, a PSU would need a finite internal resistance, I think but that could be very low.

Likes davenn
David Lewis said:

yes, that will be the case for specifically designed constant voltage or constant current supplies

but for general supplies, internal ( output ) resistance is a factor and is discussed in the link I providedDave

Likes phinds

Related to Question about measuring the internal resistance of power supplies

1. How do you measure the internal resistance of a power supply?

The internal resistance of a power supply can be measured by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to measure resistance (ohms) and connect the positive lead to the positive terminal of the power supply and the negative lead to the negative terminal. The reading on the multimeter will give you the internal resistance of the power supply.

2. Why is it important to measure the internal resistance of a power supply?

Measuring the internal resistance of a power supply is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of the power supply. A higher internal resistance can result in a voltage drop, which can lead to a decrease in the output voltage and power of the supply.

3. What is the typical range of internal resistance for power supplies?

The typical range of internal resistance for power supplies is between 0.1 ohms to 1 ohm. However, it can vary depending on the type and quality of the power supply.

4. How does the internal resistance of a power supply affect its stability?

The internal resistance of a power supply can affect its stability by causing fluctuations in the output voltage. A higher internal resistance can result in a less stable output, which can lead to issues with the devices connected to the power supply.

5. Can the internal resistance of a power supply be reduced?

Yes, the internal resistance of a power supply can be reduced by using thicker wires and larger components that can handle higher currents. Additionally, keeping the power supply cool and using high-quality components can also help reduce the internal resistance.