Question about liquid flow into a vessel, is it going in?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a peristaltic pump to pump liquid into a vessel. The speaker has calibrated the pump and noticed that at low flow rates, the liquid level at the inlet is only half full. They wonder if this indicates that the liquid is not being pumped into the vessel due to the pressure or weight of the fluid. The speaker clarifies that there is no reservoir, just a tube connected to the inlet and outlet with the pump in between. They ask for help in understanding why the gap in the liquid level is occurring and if it is due to trapped air.
rwooduk
Liquid is being pumped into a vessel then it leaves and recirculates through the pump. I have calibrated the pump by measuring the amount of fluid being pumped through the tube (not into the vessel).

However I have noticed at low flow rates the liquid level at the inlet is only half full! That is it looks like this...

ZF85njR.jpg

Instead of like this...

g1fhCUn.jpg

Does this indicate that the liquid is not being pumped into the solution in the vessel? Perhaps due to the pressure of weight of the fluid in the vessel??

Its a peristaltic pump so there is no reservoir, just a tube that is connected to the inlet and outlet with the pump in between.

What does the gap mean is happening? Why isn't it full of fluid?

Thanks for any help figuring this out, I've done experiments at low flow rate with the pump set to low values and I am concerned that its not pumping into the solution due to pressure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh trapped air! sorry please ignore!

Likes CWatters

Related to Question about liquid flow into a vessel, is it going in?

1. What factors affect the flow of liquid into a vessel?

The flow of liquid into a vessel can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the vessel, the viscosity of the liquid, the pressure and temperature of the liquid, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.

2. How can I measure the amount of liquid flowing into a vessel?

The amount of liquid flowing into a vessel can be measured using a flow meter, which uses various methods such as differential pressure, ultrasonic, or magnetic to measure the volume or mass of liquid passing through a specific point in the flow path.

3. How can I control the flow of liquid into a vessel?

The flow of liquid into a vessel can be controlled using valves and pumps. Valves can be used to regulate the flow rate by partially opening or closing the flow path, while pumps can be used to increase or decrease the pressure and flow rate of the liquid.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow into a vessel?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly movement of liquid particles in a straight line, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic and random movement of liquid particles. In laminar flow, the liquid particles move at different speeds depending on their distance from the walls of the vessel, while in turbulent flow, the liquid particles move at similar speeds throughout the flow path.

5. How does the shape of a vessel affect the flow of liquid into it?

The shape of a vessel can affect the flow of liquid into it in several ways. A wider vessel with a larger surface area can allow for a higher volume of liquid to flow in, while a narrower vessel may restrict the flow. Additionally, the shape of the vessel can also impact the flow pattern, with certain shapes promoting laminar flow and others promoting turbulent flow.