Question about length contraction.

In summary: At a half foot in length, the spring is in equilibrium and its potential energy is just half of its original value.
cragar
Lets say I have 2 charged spheres that are connected by a spring and they are a distance d apart. The spring is made of a material that will not allow the charge to evenly distribute. And each sphere has the same charge q on it. Now I move with respect to this object and I should see the spring length contracted. Now the charged spheres are closer together but why wouldn't the now stronger coulomb repulsion want to push the spring back out in my frame. And I guess there in now a B field because the charges are moving. Does the B field affect it though? There is probably something I don't understand about length contraction and where would the energy come from to push it back apart. Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming the charged field itself somehow remains spherical. It too is length contracted, putting the spheres at the correct distance for the amount of charge they experience.

Make it simpler; remove the spheres and charges and just examine the spring. It's a foot long, but length contracted, its only half that. Why does it not bounce back? Because, at a half foot in length, it is in equilibrium.

OK thanks for your answer. Why can we say the spring is in equilibrium at a half of foot? Is it just because in our frame that is the springs rest length. Not that this would make a difference but if instead of charged spheres we had electrons at each end, that we could treat as point particles.

cragar said:
Why can we say the spring is in equilibrium at a half of foot?
The atoms and their bonds are length-contracted. A spherical field of any sort, when seen at relativistic speeds, is going to be lozenge-shaped - shorter along the direction of motion. All physical processes (such as solid material matrices) will be likewise squished.

Related to Question about length contraction.

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears shorter when it is observed from a different reference frame that is moving at a high speed relative to the object. This effect is a consequence of the theory of relativity.

2. How does length contraction work?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers. When an object is observed from a reference frame that is moving at a high speed, its length appears shorter due to the time dilation and space compression effects.

3. What is the formula for length contraction?

The formula for length contraction is L = L0/γ, where L0 is the length of the object in its rest frame, L is the observed length, and γ is the Lorentz factor which depends on the relative speed between the observer and the object.

4. Does length contraction only occur at high speeds?

Yes, length contraction is a relativistic effect that is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. For everyday objects and speeds, the effect is too small to be observed.

5. How is length contraction related to time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin in the theory of relativity. As an object's length appears shorter when observed from a moving reference frame, time also appears to pass slower for the object in the moving frame. This is known as the time-space equivalence principle.