Question about Lagrangian Mechanics.

In summary, the incorrect equation of motion for this particle is x = x(t) instead of x = (x(t))2. The Lagrangian used was x-dx/dt-y, instead of just x-dx/dt. The partial derivatives were computed incorrectly and the final expression was more complicated than expected because both x and \dot{x} are functions of t.
Timothy S
This is not a homework equation at all, however I have devised my own example problem in order to convey my misunderstanding. (My question is at the end of the problem)

Question that I had come up with:
A particle's motion is described in the x direction by the equation x = x(t). The particle's motion in the y direction is given by the constraint equation, y = (x(t))2. This particle's motion is on Earth and is acted on by the force, -mg. Find the equation of motion.

Attempted solution:
because of the constraint equation for y, I did not write the lagrangian in terms of either x-dx/dt-y, but with just the coordinates x-dx/dt. Because of this logic, my Lagrangian was:

http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1428780064/render.png

Plugging into the Euler-Lagrange, I obtained the Equation of Motion to be:

http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1428780484/render.png

This is undoubtedly wrong as the equation of motion is one dimensional while the actual motion of the particle is in two dimensions. What did I do wrong? And more importantly, how would you guys solve this type of problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you have constraints there are many methods of taking care of them. I think that in this case, the simplest is to first write the Lagrangian in terms of x and y, then substitute your constraint equation y(x).

The resulting ODE is for x(t) of your particle. If you want a position function of your particle i.e. r(t) then use your constraints again to generate it. I.e. you know x(t), then y(t) = y( x(t) ) then r(t)= x(t) i + y (x(t)) j

makes sense?

What the constraint equation does is it reduces the number of degrees of freedom. While the particle can move in two dimensions the changes in one co-ordinate can be described by the changes in the other co-ordinate. This means that you can completely describe the particle's motion by describing it's motion only in terms of one of these coordinates. This makes solving the problem easier as now you have only one equation to solve, instead of two.

From your set up you have a horizontal and vertical coordinates x and y and gravity that acts in the negative y-direction. This is all well and good. You have added the constraint that the particle must move on some parabola y=x^2. This is an arbitrary addition to the problem, maybe the particle is stuck on the surface of some parabola shaped bowl and is unable to leave it's surface. That is the sort of situation where constraint equations come into use. Since you know the shape of the bowl and that the particle must be on the bowl's surface, if you know it's horizontal position you know it's vertical position. The exact shape and size of the bowl would be determined by the initial conditions you prescribe.You appear to have made a small mistake in setting up your Lagrangian as well.
The kinetic energies in this case should also be ##\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2)## So your second term should be positive but other than that your Lagrangian is correct.

When computing your partial derivatives for the Euler Lagrange equations you have to remember a few maths things. This is especially important when you have an interesting lagrangian which has a term with both ##x## and ##\dot{x}## in it. Remember that all the other variables are treated as constants when taking a partial derivative. This means that this middle term should appear in both your partial with respect to ##x## and your partial with respect to ##\dot{x}##. You should have ##\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{x}+4m\dot{x}x^2) - 4\dot{x}^2 x-2mgx = 0##. Also, when computing the total time derivative you have to use both the product rule and the chain rule as both ##x## and ##\dot{x}## are functions of t so your final expression is a bit more complicated than you might expect.

Related to Question about Lagrangian Mechanics.

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical formalism used to describe the motion of a system of particles or rigid bodies in terms of generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian function over time.

2. How is Lagrangian mechanics different from Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a reformulation of classical mechanics that is more general and powerful than Newtonian mechanics. It does not rely on the concept of forces, but rather on the concept of energy. It also takes into account constraints and allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve complex systems.

3. What is the role of the Lagrangian function in Lagrangian mechanics?

The Lagrangian function is a mathematical function that encapsulates all of the information about a system's dynamics. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system, and it is used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

4. How is the Lagrangian function derived?

The Lagrangian function is derived by taking the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system, and then expressing it in terms of the generalized coordinates and their corresponding velocities. This is done using a mathematical tool called the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are based on the principle of least action.

5. In what situations is Lagrangian mechanics useful?

Lagrangian mechanics is useful in any situation where there are constraints or complicated dynamics involved. It is commonly used in classical mechanics, but it also has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and relativity. It is particularly useful in systems with multiple particles or degrees of freedom, where the use of generalized coordinates simplifies the calculations.