Question about how to merge poisson distribution

In summary: The product is always a Poisson distribution and the MGF's are inverse proportional. This means that the MGF of the first variable is equal to the MGF of the second variable multiplied by the inverse of the rate at which the first variable occurs. In this case, the first variable is the percentage of calls answered and the second variable is the number of calls answered.
gokuls
In general, if A~Po(a) and B~Po(b) are independent random variables, then C = (A+B)~Po(a+b). Can someone please explain the intuition/simple proof of this and a word problem or example would really help to reinforce this concept. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey gokuls and welcome to the forum.

Hint: Find the MGF of a Poisson distribution. What does it mean to calculate the MGF of A + B if A and B are independent variables? What is the form of the product of the two MGF's? What does this say about the distribution?

Hi Chiro,
This concept is used to solve questions as the one following.

The emergency room switchboard has two operators. One operator answers calls for doctors and the other deals with enquiries about patients. The first operator fails to answer 1% of her calls and the second operator fails to answer 3% of his calls. On a typical day, the first and second telephone operators receive 20 and 40 calls respectively during an afternoon session. Using the Poisson distribution find the probability that, between them, the two operators fail to answer two or more calls during an afternoon session.

The two events are independent in the question above and to calculate the probability they both happen, you have to apparently combine the Poisson variables. By the way, what does MGF mean?
chiro said:
Hey gokuls and welcome to the forum.

Hint: Find the MGF of a Poisson distribution. What does it mean to calculate the MGF of A + B if A and B are independent variables? What is the form of the product of the two MGF's? What does this say about the distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is often used to model the number of events that occur in a specific time period or space. It is characterized by a single parameter, lambda (λ), which represents the average number of events per time period or space.

To understand how to merge Poisson distributions, it is important to first understand the concept of independence in probability. Two random variables are said to be independent if the occurrence of one does not affect the occurrence of the other. In the context of the Poisson distribution, this means that the number of events in one time period or space does not affect the number of events in another time period or space.

Now, let's consider two independent random variables, A~Po(a) and B~Po(b). This means that A and B have their own respective Poisson distributions, with parameters a and b. The probability of A taking on a specific value is given by P(A=k) = (a^k * e^-a) / k!, and the probability of B taking on a specific value is given by P(B=k) = (b^k * e^-b) / k!.

To find the probability of the merged random variable, C = (A+B), we need to consider all the possible combinations of values that A and B can take on. For example, if A=2 and B=3, then C=5. We can find the probability of this specific combination by multiplying the individual probabilities of A and B, i.e., P(A=2) * P(B=3) = [(a^2 * e^-a) / 2!] * [(b^3 * e^-b) / 3!].

In general, the probability of C taking on a specific value k is given by P(C=k) = Σ P(A=i) * P(B=k-i), where i takes on all possible values from 0 to k.

To simplify this, we can use the binomial theorem to expand (a+b)^k, which gives us (a+b)^k = Σ (k choose i) * a^i * b^(k-i). This is essentially the same as the formula for the probability of C taking on a specific value, with (k choose i) representing the number of ways to choose i events from a total of k events.

Therefore, we can see that the merged random variable C follows a Poisson distribution with parameter (a+b

Related to Question about how to merge poisson distribution

1. What is a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space. It is often used to analyze data that involves rare events, such as accidents or defects.

2. How do you merge multiple Poisson distributions?

To merge multiple Poisson distributions, you can use the Poisson mixture model. This involves taking the sum of the individual Poisson distributions and then normalizing the resulting distribution to ensure that it is a valid probability distribution.

3. Can you merge Poisson distributions with different means?

Yes, you can merge Poisson distributions with different means. However, the resulting distribution will have a mean that is different from the individual means of the merged distributions. This is because the mean of a Poisson distribution is equal to its parameter λ, which is the rate at which events occur.

4. What is the difference between merging Poisson distributions and averaging them?

Merging Poisson distributions involves taking the sum of the individual distributions, while averaging them involves taking the mean of the individual distributions. Merging distributions results in a new distribution with a different mean, while averaging distributions does not change the mean.

5. When is it appropriate to use the Poisson mixture model?

The Poisson mixture model is appropriate to use when you have data that involves rare events and you want to combine multiple Poisson distributions. This can be useful in various fields such as insurance, finance, and healthcare.