Question about finite dimensional real l^p space

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the l^p space as a set of infinite sequences that converge when raised to the power of p term by term. The conversation also touches on the concept of a real finite dimensional l^p space, which is simply a real vector space with a norm defined by the p-norm.
larkin1993
I believe I understand the definitition of the l^p space, its set of infinite sequences that converge when the sequence is put to the power of p, term by term. However I came across "Let T be a real linear operator from a finite dimensional real l^p space to a real finite dimensional banach space". My issue is that I don't understand what it means by a real finite dimensional real l^p space. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
They just mean ##\mathbb{R}^n## with norm

[tex]\|(x_1,...,x_n)\|_p = \sqrt[p]{\sum_{k=1}^n |x_k|^p}[/tex]

Ahh that makes a lot more sense. Thank you

Related to Question about finite dimensional real l^p space

1. What is a finite dimensional real l^p space?

A finite dimensional real l^p space is a mathematical concept that describes a vector space of functions or sequences with finite dimensions and with elements that are real numbers. It is often used in the study of functional analysis and measure theory.

2. What is the difference between l^p space and finite dimensional real l^p space?

The main difference between l^p space and finite dimensional real l^p space is that l^p space can have infinite dimensions, while finite dimensional real l^p space has a fixed, finite number of dimensions. In other words, l^p space allows for infinite linear combinations of elements, while finite dimensional real l^p space only allows for a finite number of linear combinations.

3. What are some examples of finite dimensional real l^p spaces?

Some examples of finite dimensional real l^p spaces include Euclidean spaces (such as R^n), function spaces (such as C([0,1])), and sequence spaces (such as l^p([1,n])). These spaces can have different dimensions and different values of p, depending on the specific problem or application.

4. How is the norm defined in finite dimensional real l^p spaces?

The norm in finite dimensional real l^p spaces is defined as ||x||_p = (|x_1|^p + |x_2|^p + ... + |x_n|^p)^(1/p), where x = (x_1, x_2, ..., x_n) is a vector in the space. This norm measures the "size" or "length" of a vector in the l^p space and is used to define concepts such as convergence and continuity.

5. What are some applications of finite dimensional real l^p spaces?

Finite dimensional real l^p spaces have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to study optimization problems, control theory, signal processing, and numerical analysis, among others. They are also used as a foundation for more advanced concepts such as Banach spaces and Hilbert spaces.