Question about current flow and diode?

In summary: He thought the arrow direction on the diode symbol shows which direction the current is able to flow through it. However, in his simulation, it is showing that the diode is limiting current flow in the exact opposite direction. Dave has now understood why his voltage is dropping when he is positive.
Ascendant78
Ok, I'm trying to simulate a circuit containing a diode and I am a bit confused. I thought the arrow direction on the diode symbol shows which direction the current is able to flow through it. However, in my simulation, it is showing that the diode is limiting current flow in the exact opposite direction. Here are the images

Screen_Shot009.jpg

Screen_Shot010.jpg

Can someone please make sense of this to me? Do diodes actually block current in the direction of the arrow on their symbol? This just doesn't seem right to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Current flows in the direction of the arrow in the diode.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode
Conventional current flows in the direction of the arrow in the diode.

Electron current flows in the other direction

Likes Dr. Funkytron, Ascendant78 and jedishrfu
it is showing that the diode is limiting current flow in the exact opposite direction
The diode doesn't start conducting until the voltage across it reaches around 0.7v ( for silicon). As V1 increases positive, the IR takes up the rest of the voltage.

Likes Ascendant78
That's what I thought, but then why is my voltage dropping when it is positive? I would think with this setup, the diode should allow the positive to flow, but impede the negative?

You are not looking at current flow, you are looking at voltage.

If the diode were an open circuit, then Vin and Vout would always be equal ( a full triangle wave).

Put in the diode, and Vout cannot go above 0.7V because the diode turns on and conducts current at that point, clamping the voltage at ~0.7V.

Look at the current through V2 (or anywhere for that matter).

Likes Dr. Funkytron, jedishrfu, davenn and 1 other person
Oh, ok I get it now. I was simply looking at it wrong. Thank you.

meBigGuy said:
You are not looking at current flow, you are looking at voltage.

If the diode were an open circuit, then Vin and Vout would always be equal ( a full triangle wave).

Put in the diode, and Vout cannot go above 0.7V because the diode turns on and conducts current at that point, clamping the voltage at ~0.7V.

Look at the current through V2 (or anywhere for that matter).

nice explanation ... I should have known that haha :wink:Dave

Related to Question about current flow and diode?

1. How does current flow through a diode?

The flow of current through a diode depends on the direction of the voltage applied. If the voltage is applied in the forward direction, the diode conducts electricity and allows current to flow. If the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. What is the purpose of a diode in an electrical circuit?

A diode is used to control the direction of current flow in a circuit. It allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the other. This is useful for converting alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC), as well as protecting sensitive components from reverse current.

3. How does a diode differ from a resistor?

A diode is a semiconductor device that only allows current to flow in one direction, while a resistor is a passive component that limits the flow of current in both directions. Diodes also have a specific voltage threshold, known as the forward voltage, that must be reached before they will start conducting current.

4. What is the symbol for a diode in a circuit diagram?

The symbol for a diode in a circuit diagram is a triangle with a line at the base. The line indicates the direction of current flow, with the point of the triangle representing the anode (positive) and the line representing the cathode (negative).

5. How does temperature affect the current flow through a diode?

The current flow through a diode is highly dependent on temperature. As the temperature increases, the diode's resistance decreases and it becomes more conductive. This can cause significant changes in the amount of current flowing through the diode, which must be taken into account in circuit design and analysis.