Question about changing line element.

In summary, the conversation discussed a function and its line element in Cartesian coordinates. The person had two questions about converting the line element and finding the equation of a unit circle. They were advised to use implicit differentiation and substitute for x and y into the equation for a circle. The conversation also mentioned a correction to the calculation of dy, which resulted in the cross-term vanishing.
ozone

Homework Statement

Say we have a function such that
[itex] x = uv , y = (u^2 - v^2) /2 [/itex]
Hence our line element in Cartesian coordinates is.
[itex] ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 [/itex]

Now I have two questions. I like to work on math problems algebraically if possible so I thought to convert our line element I could take the implicit derivative of both x and y.

Hence we have

[itex] dx = (du*v) + (u*dv), dy = (2u du - 2v dv) [/itex]
However if i were to square these terms out I would then have some mixed components such as [itex] 4vu du dv[/itex]

I tested this technique with polar coordinates and using [itex] x = r \cos \theta, y = r \sin\theta [/itex] and I managed to come out to the proper line element.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to get the proper line element?

Also I had one more question. If i wanted to find the equation of the unit circle centered at the origin in our new coordinate system can I just take the cartesian equation [itex] x^2 + y^2 = 1 [/itex] , plug in our substitutions, and then solve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the factor of 1/2 when you calculated dy.

thats true I forgot to write that down when I was making the post.. so this is the correct way to set up the line element?

Yup, and you should find with the correction the cross-term vanishes.

And to answer your other question, yes, you can just substitute for x and y into the equation for a circle and get the equivalent equation in terms of u and v. It works the way you think it should.

Related to Question about changing line element.

1. How does changing the line element affect the overall structure of a scientific study?

Changing the line element can impact the overall structure of a scientific study in several ways. It can alter the measurements or data collected, potentially leading to different conclusions. It can also affect the validity and reliability of the study's results.

2. What factors should be considered when changing the line element in a study?

When changing the line element in a study, it is important to consider the purpose of the study, the variables being measured, and the potential impact on the results. Additionally, any changes should be made with careful consideration and justification, and be clearly documented for transparency.

3. Can changing the line element result in biased or misleading conclusions?

Yes, changing the line element can potentially lead to biased or misleading conclusions. This is why it is important to carefully consider any changes and their potential impact on the study's results. Transparency and thorough documentation are also crucial in ensuring the validity of the conclusions drawn.

4. How can changing the line element affect the reproducibility of a study?

Changing the line element can impact the reproducibility of a study by altering the methods used and potentially leading to different results. This can make it difficult for other researchers to replicate the study and validate its findings. It is important to carefully consider and document any changes in order to maintain reproducibility.

5. Are there any guidelines or best practices for changing the line element in a study?

There are no set guidelines or best practices for changing the line element in a study, as it can vary depending on the specific research topic and methods. However, it is important to carefully consider any changes and their potential impact, document them thoroughly, and justify them with a clear rationale. It is also recommended to consult with other experts in the field and seek peer review before making any changes.