Relevant Equations
a= 9.81 m/s^2
1711474766864.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
hello478 said:
Homework Statement: a general question asked below
Relevant Equations: a= 9.81 m/s^2

View attachment 342392
You're free to choose either sign, as long as other quantities are consistent. For example, if a ball is thrown upward with a velocity of 20 m/sec, the acceleration due to gravity will be in the opposite direction, so would be -9.81 m/sec^2.

Mark44 said:
You're free to choose either sign, as long as other quantities are consistent. For example, if a ball is thrown upward with a velocity of 20 m/sec, the acceleration due to gravity will be in the opposite direction, so would be -9.81 m/sec^2.
so like if
object moving up :
i would take down as + and up as -
so object moving up would have velocity -20
and acceleration 9.81

and for object moving down the acceleration would still be 9.81 and the velocity would be 20m/s

am i right?

Last edited:
hello478 said:
object moving up :
i would take down as + and up as -
so object moving up would have velocity -20
and acceleration 9.81
Yes, but keep in mind that we're talking about a particular moment. It's probably better to consider "up" as the positive direction, though.

hello478 said:
and for object moving down the acceleration would still be 9.81 and the velocity would be 9.81
If we're talking about the same scenario as above, wouldn't the velocity be 20 (m/sec) at the moment in question?

Mark44 said:
Yes, but keep in mind that we're talking about a particular moment. It's probably better to consider "up" as the positive direction, though.

If we're talking about the same scenario as above, wouldn't the velocity be 20 (m/sec) at the moment in question?
my bad, was an error
i meant 20m/s btw

Although I said you could go either way, I recommend that you treat upward velocities as positive so that g is negative. It's probably less confusing to do things this way.

Likes hello478
Mark44 said:
Although I said you could go either way, I recommend that you treat upward velocities as positive so that g is negative. It's probably less confusing to do things this way.
ok thank you
will do that from now onwards

Mark44 said:
My preference is otherwise. For me, ##g## is the named constant for the magnitude of the acceleration of gravity at the Earth's surface. Because it is a magnitude, it is always positive.

When you use ##g## in a problem, you have to decide which way gravity points relative to your coordinate system. If your coordinate system is upward positive then the acceleration due to gravity will be ##-g##. If your coordinate system is downward positive then the acceleration due to gravity will be ##+g##.

So ##g## is always 9.8 meters/sec2. But the free fall acceleration ##\vec{a}## from gravity will be either +9.8 m/sec2 or -9.8 m/sec2 depending on your choice of coordinate system.

Likes hello478 and PeroK
thanks!

jbriggs444 said:
My preference is otherwise. For me, ##g## is the named constant for the magnitude of the acceleration of gravity at the Earth's surface. Because it is a magnitude, it is always positive.
For me it's more than a preference, it's a MUST to avoid confusion when free body diagrams (FBD) and their translation into an equation through Newton's second law is involved.

Example
Hanging_Mass_FBD.png
A 3 kg mass is hanging vertically from a string in which the tension is 50 N as shown in the figure on the right. Find the net force acting on the mass.
Solution
1. Draw the FBD as shown on the right. Gravity defines the "down" direction. Clearly the direction opposite to "down" is "up".
2. The net force is the vector sum of all the forces and you want to write an algebraic equation for it. Before you do that, you have to choose which direction is positive and which is negative then proceed with the solution.

Choice I "Up" is positive
The net force is the sum of what is "up" with a "+" sign up front and what is "down" with a "-" sign up front. Fnet = +T + (-mg) = T - mg = 50 N - 2 (kg) * 10 (m/s2) = 50 N - 20 N = 30 N.
Since "up" is positive and the algebraic result is positive, the answer is
Answer: The net force is 30 N up.

Choice II "Down" is positive
The net force is the sum of what is "up" with a "-" sign up front and what is "down" with a "+" sign up front. Fnet = (-T) + (mg) = -T + mg = -50 N + 2 (kg) * 10 (m/s2) = -50 N + 20 N = -30 N.
Since "down" is positive and the algebraic result is negative, the answer is
Answer: The net force is 30 N up.

It should be clear how either choice gives the same answer. It should also be clear that, when the time comes to replace g with a number, that number must be positive in either choice because g is the magnitude of a vector as noted by @jbriggs444. The direction of the acceleration of gravity has already been taken care of by the transcription of "up" and "down" into "+" or "-" when one casts the FBD in algebraic form.

Likes DeBangis21, jbriggs444 and hello478
kuruman said:
For me it's more than a preference, it's a MUST to avoid confusion when free body diagrams (FBD) and their translation into an equation through Newton's second law is involved.

what about when we have gravitational potential energy and work?
then the acceleration cannot be negative so acceleration is always to be positive?

hello478 said:
then the acceleration cannot be negative so acceleration is always to be positive?
Your logic eludes me.

Acceleration can be negative. Even when ##g## is always positive.
Acceleration can be negative. Even when contemplating gravitational potential energy and work.

In addition, work can be negative. Gravitational potential energy can be negative. The rate of change of gravitational potential energy with respect to vertical position can be negative if you have a downward-positive coordinate system.

Likes MatinSAR
hello478 said:
Why can the acceleration not be negative? When you say "acceleration" all by itself, the default interpretation is the acceleration vector which can be positive or negative depending on how you choose your axes as I indicated in post #10. It looks like you are still confusing the basic idea of acceleration with the specific number g = 9.8 m/s2.

Please illustrate what you mean with an example.

Likes MatinSAR and jbriggs444
Hi @hello478. Another way to think about the direction of acceleration is this...

The direction of an object’s acceleration is always the same as the direction of the net force on the object.

That’s because ##\vec F_{net} = m \vec a##, so that ## \vec a = \frac {\vec F_{net}}m##.

For example, think about a ball thrown vertically upwards (with negligible air resistance). The only force on the ball is its weight, always acting vertically downwards. The direction of acceleration is therefore the same, always vertically downwards. This is true when the ball is rising, at the high-point or falling. The sign of the acceleration (+ or -) only depends on what sign-convention you have chosen for up/down.

Minor edit.

Likes hello478
kuruman said:
Why can the acceleration not be negative? When you say "acceleration" all by itself, the default interpretation is the acceleration vector which can be positive or negative depending on how you choose your axes as I indicated in post #10. It looks like you are still confusing the basic idea of acceleration with the specific number g = 9.8 m/s2.

Please illustrate what you mean with an example.
if an object is raised and then dropped
so the gravitational potential energy would be mgh
but what if i choose g to be negative
it cant be negative as energy is scalar
so are g=9.81 and acceleration different things?

hello478 said:
Absolutely. Acceleration has magnitude (size) and direction. Near the surface of the Earth the acceleration of a falling object has direction towards the center of the Earth and magnitude 9.81 m/s2 (don't forget the units). The magnitude of the acceleration is just a number with units, 9.81 m/s2, and has no direction. We use the symbol "g" instead of that number so that we don't have to write 9.81 m/s2 all the time.

Likes hello478
hello478 said:
What exactly cannot be negative? Fill in your reasoning, please.

Scalars(*) can be negative. Magnitudes (aka norms) are always positive or zero. You are correct that kinetic energy is always non-negative.

However, potential energy is always relative to an arbitrarily chosen reference. It can be negative. For instance, the potential energy of a weight in a hole is negative if we choose our reference to be at ground level.

(*) Here I take "scalar" in the sense of a vector space where we have vectors in a space and scalars from a field. You can multiply a vector by a small scalar to scale it down, decreasing its magnitude but leaving its direction unchanged. You can multiply a vector by a large scalar to scale it up, increasing its magnitude while leaving its direction unchanged. You can multiply a vector by a negative scalar. This will invert its direction in addition to possibly scaling it up or down.

Last edited:
hello478 said:
if an object is raised and then dropped
so the gravitational potential energy would be mgh
but what if i choose g to be negative
See if this helps.

We can take any convenient position to define where gravitational potential energy (GPE) is zero. We often take GPE=0 at the earth’s surface but that’s not essential.

E.g. the position where GPE=0 could be taken as the floor of the physics lab’ in the basement. Sometimes we don’t even need to bother choosing where GPE=0.

That’s because we are really only interested in changes in GPE. ##\Delta (GPE) = mg\Delta h##.

This equation assumes ##g## is a positive constant (as in previous posts) and that ##h## increases going upwards, i.e. that we are using the ‘upwards-is-positive’ sign-convention.

E.g. when you drop a ball ##\Delta h## is negative. The kinetic energy gained equals the GPE lost (assuming no air resistance). In this case ##\Delta (GPE)## is a negative quantity because GPE is reduced.

Warnnig: if you choose a sign-convention where upwards is negative, this reverses the sign of ##\Delta h##. So maybe to avoid confusion, if using ##\Delta (GPE)##, stick to upwards-is-positive. Or just stick to upwards-is-positive always.

Side-note: things are a bit more complicated if ##g## is not constant (e.g. for a rocket travelling from earth to a satellite’s orbit). So you can’t use ##\Delta (GPE) = mg\Delta h## in these situations.

Likes hello478
Mark44 said:
I recommend that you treat upward velocities as positive so that g is negative.
You mean so that the (vertical component of the) acceleration is negative. For example, if we take the upward direction to be the positive ##y##-direction, then ##a_y=-g \approx -9.8 \ \mathrm{m/s^2}##. Because ##g \approx +9.8 \ \mathrm{m/s^2}##.

Likes hello478
jbriggs444 said:
What exactly cannot be negative? Fill in your reasoning, please.
gravitational potential energy

hello478 said:
The direction of motion tells you nothing about the sign of the acceleration. You can be moving in the positive direction and your acceleration can be either positive or negative. Likewise, you can be moving in the negative direction and your acceleration can be either positive or negative.

Likes hello478
Steve4Physics said:
See if this helps.

We can take any convenient position to define where gravitational potential energy (GPE) is zero. We often take GPE=0 at the earth’s surface but that’s not essential.

E.g. the position where GPE=0 could be taken as the floor of the physics lab’ in the basement. Sometimes we don’t even need to bother choosing where GPE=0.

That’s because we are really only interested in changes in GPE. ##\Delta (GPE) = mg\Delta h##.

This equation assumes ##g## is a positive constant (as in previous posts) and that ##h## increases going upwards, i.e. that we are using the ‘upwards-is-positive’ sign-convention.

E.g. when you drop a ball ##\Delta h## is negative. The kinetic energy gained equals the GPE lost (assuming no air resistance). In this case ##\Delta (GPE)## is a negative quantity because GPE is reduced.

Warnnig: if you choose a sign-convention where upwards is negative, this reverses the sign of ##\Delta h##. So maybe to avoid confusion, if using ##\Delta (GPE)##, stick to upwards-is-positive. Or just stick to upwards-is-positive always.

Side-note: things are a bit more complicated if ##g## is not constant (e.g. for a rocket travelling from earth to a satellite’s orbit). So you can’t use ##\Delta (GPE) = mg\Delta h## in these situations.
yes it did help a lot
thank you 😊

Likes Steve4Physics
hello478 said:
Scalars can be negative; magnitudes cannot be negative.
A change in energy can be negative.

Likes hello478, MatinSAR and jbriggs444
hello478 said:
gravitational potential energy
Which can be negative, as explained at least twice.

Likes hello478 and MatinSAR