Quartic polynomial factoring

In summary: Oh wait, I was just about to write it must be 1 (because who's going to say bc+a/c isn't an integer if both b and c are integers, right?), but then I realised that's the same as saying if one of the factors has a coefficient that is not an integer, then the other must (because if one is c, the other is 1/c). So I guess that's why you need to assume that the coefficients are integers.In summary, the given quartic polynomial can be factored into two quadratics, and the coefficients of these quadratics must be integers due to Gauss' lemma.
agoogler

Homework Statement

p(x) = x^4+10x^3+26x^2+10x+1
p(x) = a(x)b(x) where a(x) and b(x) are quadratic polynomials with integer coefficients. It is given that b(1) > a(1). Find a(3) + b(2).

Homework Equations

p(x) = x^4+10x^3+26x^2+10x+1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to factor the given quartic but failed . Then I used wolfram-alpha and found that the factors are -
a](1+4x+x^2) and b](1+6x+x^2)
Now the problem is really easy to solve after this ( just evaluating a] at 3 and b] at 2 and adding the results equals 39 which is the correct answer ) , But I want to know how to factor that quartic into two quadratics . Please give hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the product of (c+bx+ax^2) and (e+dx+x^2) and compare it to your original polynomial, you can fix some factors quickly. The others are the result of calculations.

mfb said:
If you look at the product of (c+bx+ax^2) and (e+dx+x^2) and compare it to your original polynomial, you can fix some factors quickly. The others are the result of calculations.
That's true, mfb, but when you see e.g. that c*e = 1 you have to conclude that c = e = ±1. c = 2, e = 1/2 isn't going to work, in my experience. But I don't know of a sound basis for that. Do you?

mfb said:
Awesome idea! Thanks.
Simplifying (c+bx+ax^2)(e+dx+fx^2)
I get (ce) + (cd+be)x + (bd+ae+cf)x^2 + (ad+bf)x^3 + (af)x^4

Now comparing the coefficients with x^4+10x^3+26x^2+10x+1
(ce) =1 (the constant term) Now if you assume the coefficients will be positive integers then both c and e =1 .
Also cd+be=10 which means d+b=10 ( since c and e =1 )
From the coefficient of x^4 , both a and f =1 .
Then from coefficient of x^2 we get bd+ae+cf=26 , but since a,e,c,f=1 we get bd=26-2=24.
Now we just have to find two numbers b and d whose product is 24 and sum is 10 .
So the answer is b=6 , d=4 and factors are -
a](1+4x+x^2) and b](1+6x+x^2)

Again thanks a lot , but anyone knows how to figure out if the coefficients (of factors) will be integers or not ?

haruspex said:
That's true, mfb, but when you see e.g. that c*e = 1 you have to conclude that c = e = ±1. c = 2, e = 1/2 isn't going to work, in my experience. But I don't know of a sound basis for that. Do you?
Yeah , that's what I also want to know.

I think this problem is as difficult as finding roots of a quartic polynomial. In the case of a cubic polynomial, we want to factor ##x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d## into ##(x^2 + px + q)(x + r)##, but this is just the same as finding the root x = -r and doing the division, and we know finding the root is difficult.

In the quartic case, if there was an easy method to factor the quartic into quadratics, we could find the roots by solving the quadratics. But it is not easy to find the roots, so it must be difficult to factor the quartic polynomial.

verty said:
I think this problem is as difficult as finding roots of a quartic polynomial. In the case of a cubic polynomial, we want to factor ##x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d## into ##(x^2 + px + q)(x + r)##, but this is just the same as finding the root x = -r and doing the division, and we know finding the root is difficult.

In the quartic case, if there was an easy method to factor the quartic into quadratics, we could find the roots by solving the quadratics. But it is not easy to find the roots, so it must be difficult to factor the quartic polynomial.
That's not quite what I meant. If tasked with factoring a quartic with integer coefficients into two quadratics, it may be reasonable to assume that the problem poser has been kind enough that the factor polynomials will have rational coefficients. But does it then follow that they will have integer coefficients?

If there is a solution with rational numbers, then there is a solution with integers.
This is a result of Gauß' lemma.

Apart from that, integers are always the first thing one should try.

From the coefficient of x^4 , both a and f =1 .
You do not need f (and I did not include one in my post) - you can scale (c+bx+ax^2) by an arbitrary factor, so you don't need the same option for the second factor.

mfb said:
If there is a solution with rational numbers, then there is a solution with integers.
This is a result of Gauß' lemma.

Apart from that, integers are always the first thing one should try.

You do not need f (and I did not include one in my post) - you can scale (c+bx+ax^2) by an arbitrary factor, so you don't need the same option for the second factor.
Oh , thanks. I didn't understand that before and thought that you missed it.

haruspex said:

If the solution were to be

[tex](x^2+ax+c)(x^2+bx+1/c)[/tex]

where [itex]c\neq 0,1[/itex] then expanding this would yield

[tex]x^4+(a+b)x^3+(c+1/c+ab)x^2+(bc+a/c)x+1[/tex]

Now, we're particularly interested in the coefficients of [itex]x^2[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]. Since we assumed that [itex]c\neq 1[/itex], then either

[tex]c+1/c+ab[/tex]

is not an integer, or

[tex]bc+a/c[/tex]

is not an integer (or both aren't), and since our quartic has all integer coefficients, this means our assumption of the value c can take is wrong, hence it must be 1.

Before I say more there anything special you notice about this polynomial?

epenguin said:
Before I say more there anything special you notice about this polynomial?

Um , maybe the coefficients of both x and x^3 are same?
I can't think of anything else.
What is special about it?

The completely general unspecial quartic has 5 coefficients, you could say, so it's not just a1 and a3 being equal that make this one special, also a0 = a4.

Divide by x2, group, and see if that suggests something you could express in solvable form.

However it should be useful to you to check whether there was anything relevant in your book or course handouts etc. that you could have used.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
The completely general unspecial quartic has 5 coefficients, you could say, so it's not just a1 and a3 being equal that make this one special, also a0 = a4.

Divide by x2, group, and see if that suggests something you could express in solvable form.

However it should be useful to you to check whether there was anything relevant in your book or course handouts etc. that you could have used.
Actually this is not a Homework question , I just found it somewhere and tried to solve it.

Okay , dividing by x^2 I get (x^2)+(10x)+(26)+(10/x)+(1/x^2).
Now , I've no idea how should I group this.

agoogler said:
Actually this is not a Homework question , I just found it somewhere and tried to solve it.

Okay , dividing by x^2 I get (x^2)+(10x)+(26)+(10/x)+(1/x^2).
Now , I've no idea how should I group this.

OK, it is more suggestive if we had had algebraic coeffients, in whivch case we would have had the form

x2 + ax + b + a(1/x) + 1/x2

and you group by like coefficients.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
OK, it is more suggestive if we had had algebraic coeffients, in whivch case we would have had the form

x2 + ax + bx2 + a(1/x) + 1/x2

and you group by like coefficients.
Can you please explain the term bx^2? I guess it should be just b.
Can I group like this - a(x+1/x)+ x^2 + b + 1/x^2 ?
How will that benefit me?

agoogler said:
Can you please explain the term bx^2? I guess it should be just b.
Can I group like this - a(x+1/x)+ x^2 + b + 1/x^2 ?
How will that benefit me?

Right - just b, original now corrected.

So I should have said the algebraic form more completely, though I pointed out above that a0 = a4. This is preventing you recognising that 1 is a coefficient of two terms.

So you have got

(x2 + 1/x2) + 10(x + 1/x) + 26

You can express the first bracket in terms of the second.

Last edited:
Bonus points if anyone can solve the problem without calculating what a(x) and b(x) are (I make no guarantee that it's possible but I feel like there's always some crazy trick with polynomials)

epenguin said:
Right - just b, original now corrected.

So I should have said the algebraic form more completely, though I pointed out above that a0 = a4. This is preventing you recognising that 1 is a coefficient of two terms.

So you have got

You can express the first bracket in terms of the second.
Let me try.
= ((x+1/x)2-2) + 10(x + 1/x) + 26
=(x+1/x)2+ 10(x + 1/x)+24

Am I right? Also what to do now? ( Sorry for asking you so many questions , but I'm very curious)

Office_Shredder said:
Bonus points if anyone can solve the problem without calculating what a(x) and b(x) are (I make no guarantee that it's possible but I feel like there's always some crazy trick with polynomials)
Haha , yes there maybe some trick.

agoogler said:
Let me try.
= ((x+1/x)2-2) + 10(x + 1/x) + 26
=(x+1/x)2+ 10(x + 1/x)+24

Am I right? Also what to do now? ( Sorry for asking you so many questions , but I'm very curious)

You have got a quadratic equation in a new variable, (x + 1/x) - call it z or whatever you like.

epenguin said:
You have got a quadratic equation in a new variable, (x + 1/x) - call it z or whatever you like.
Okay x+1/x =y
y^2+10y+24
= (y+6)(y+4)
which means y=-6,-4
x+1/x=-6
x^2+1=-6x
x^2+6x+1=0
Or x+1/x=-4
x^2+4x+1=0
So these are the two factors.
But what happens to the x^2 that we divided? Also please explain the "why" of the process.

agoogler said:
Okay x+1/x =y
y^2+10y+24
= (y+6)(y+4)
which means y=-6,-4
x+1/x=-6
x^2+1=-6x
x^2+6x+1=0
Or x+1/x=-4
x^2+4x+1=0
So these are the two factors.
But what happens to the x^2 that we divided? Also please explain the "why" of the process.

And if desired you can find the roots of the original equation by solving those two quadratics.
Nothing has to happen to the x2, You can divide an equation by anything except 0 and the roots are the same.
I don't know about explaining the why, it kind of explains itself. See also haruspex' link.
To note
that you might not recognise a reiprocal polynomial immediately since you can multiply it by a constant, and also change the variable x into say x' = kx making something looking different, but you can work out what you get;
that every 4th degree polynomial can be made, by a linear substitution, into a reciprocal polynomial and hence solved in the way you did. One of the several ways of solving the quartic. The bad news is that in general to get the substitution involves solving a cubic equation, as does every other way of solving.

Best book I know on this area, old, cheap, probably online is Burnside and Panton, Theory of Equations,

epenguin said:
And if desired you can find the roots of the original equation by solving those two quadratics.
Nothing has to happen to the x2, You can divide an equation by anything except 0 and the roots are the same.
I don't know about explaining the why, it kind of explains itself. See also haruspex' link.
To note
that you might not recognise a reiprocal polynomial immediately since you can multiply it by a constant, and also change the variable x into say x' = kx making something looking different, but you can work out what you get;
that every 4th degree polynomial can be made, by a linear substitution, into a reciprocal polynomial and hence solved in the way you did. One of the several ways of solving the quartic. The bad news is that in general to get the substitution involves solving a cubic equation, as does every other way of solving.

Best book I know on this area, old, cheap, probably online is Burnside and Panton, Theory of Equations,
I'll definitely try to read that book.

Related to Quartic polynomial factoring

1. What is a quartic polynomial?

A quartic polynomial is a type of polynomial function with the highest degree of four, also known as a fourth-degree polynomial. It can be written in the form of ax⁴ + bx³ + cx² + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller components, such as factors or variables, in order to simplify or solve the expression.

3. How do you factor a quartic polynomial?

The most common method for factoring quartic polynomials is by grouping. This involves grouping terms with common factors and then factoring out the greatest common factor. The remaining terms can then be factored using other methods, such as the difference of squares or sum/difference of cubes.

4. Why is factoring quartic polynomials important?

Factoring quartic polynomials is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of polynomial functions, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

5. What are the applications of quartic polynomial factoring?

Quartic polynomial factoring has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving motion, growth, and optimization. It is also essential in cryptography and coding theory for encryption and data compression.