Quantum vs. Classical Mechanics in Differential Element Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of differential elements in solving problems and the consideration of quantum effects in these calculations. The speaker suggests that making quantum level calculations may not provide an advantage in solving macroscopic problems, and provides an example of a calculation involving motion and energy levels. They conclude that standard Newtonian mechanics and quantum mechanics produce the same result when looking at macroscopic events.
Meet Gandhi
When we take a differential element for analysis why don't we consider quantum effects and only consider classical mechanics to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate, perhaps with an example, of what you are asking about with differential elements. I would rather not speculate.

scottdave said:
Can you elaborate, perhaps with an example, of what you are asking about with differential elements. I would rather not speculate.
When we derive the heat diffusion equation which is a differential equation, we consider a differential element and the apply energy conservation.
In this conservation equation, we take energy coming in and going out, energy generated and change in energy stored.
Here the element is assumed to be infinitesimally small then why don't we consider quantum effects and include quantum energy terms?
Hope this suffice.

Maybe not the exact answer you are looking for, but maybe this will help.

Since the effect that you are interested in is at the macroscopic level, I don’t think that making quantum level calculations will provide any advantage.

I don’t recall about heat transfer, when I took the advanced Physics class, which involved quantum calculations. But we did do some calculations which had to do with motion. One in particular, that I can recall, had to do with a satellite orbiting Earth hundreds of km above the surface.

We had to calculate the next energy level up or down for the satellite, using quantum calculations. It turned out the difference in energy levels was on the order of nanometers, I think. It was small enough, that we could say that standard Newtonian mechanics and quantum mechanics produce the same result, when looking at macroscopic events.

Likes Dr.D

Related to Quantum vs. Classical Mechanics in Differential Element Analysis

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical mechanics deals with the motion of larger objects in the macroscopic world.

2. How does differential element analysis apply to both quantum and classical mechanics?

Differential element analysis is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex physical systems. It can be applied to both quantum and classical systems, but the equations and assumptions used may differ based on the specific principles governing each type of mechanics.

3. Can quantum mechanics be used to explain all phenomena at the macroscopic level?

No, quantum mechanics is primarily used to explain phenomena at the atomic and subatomic level. At the macroscopic level, classical mechanics is a more accurate and practical approach.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect differential element analysis in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This can make it challenging to accurately model and predict the behavior of quantum systems using differential element analysis.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential element analysis in quantum mechanics?

Yes, differential element analysis is widely used in fields such as quantum chemistry, materials science, and computational physics to study the behavior of complex quantum systems. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors.