Quantum tunnelling and black holes

In summary, the conversation discusses whether particles can escape a black hole after passing the event horizon due to quantum tunnelling. The expert explains that there is a significant difference between ordinary tunnelling and the complex physics involved in escaping a black hole, making it unlikely for particles to escape.
AdamBenHamo
Just a quick question, that I'm not completely clear about;

Quantum tunnelling allows particles to overcome barriers that they classically shouldn't be able to overcome, my question is simply, do/can particles escape a black hole after passing the event horizon due to tunnelling? If not, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdamBenHamo said:
Just a quick question, that I'm not completely clear about;

Quantum tunnelling allows particles to overcome barriers that they classically shouldn't be able to overcome, my question is simply, do/can particles escape a black hole after passing the event horizon due to tunnelling? If not, why?

There's a huge difference between the two.

In ordinary tunneling, the particle only has to overcome a potential barrier, while the "frame" that it is in (space-time) is not affected, i.e. the spacetime didn't curl up onto itself.

This is not the case beyond such event horizon. This is not simply your "potential barrier" to deal with, but rather a completely complex and new/unknown physics.

Zz.

Thankyou! Makes sense, a bit of a silly question really..

Related to Quantum tunnelling and black holes

What is quantum tunnelling and how does it relate to black holes?

Quantum tunnelling is a phenomenon in which particles can pass through potential barriers that would be impossible to overcome according to classical physics. This relates to black holes because it allows particles to escape the intense gravitational pull of a black hole by tunneling through its event horizon.

How does quantum tunnelling contribute to the Hawking radiation emitted by black holes?

Hawking radiation, a form of radiation emitted by black holes, is thought to be caused by quantum tunnelling. According to quantum mechanics, particles and antiparticles are constantly being created and destroyed in empty space. Near the event horizon of a black hole, one particle may be pulled into the black hole while the other escapes through quantum tunnelling. This creates a net loss of energy and mass, resulting in the emission of Hawking radiation.

Can quantum tunnelling be observed in real life?

Yes, quantum tunnelling has been observed in numerous experiments. For example, scanning tunneling microscopes use the principles of quantum tunnelling to create images of surfaces at the atomic level. Additionally, the decay of radioactive particles is also an example of quantum tunnelling.

What implications does quantum tunnelling have for the information paradox of black holes?

The information paradox is a problem in theoretical physics that arises when considering the behavior of information in and around black holes. Quantum tunnelling may offer a potential solution to this paradox, as it suggests that information may be able to escape from a black hole through quantum effects.

Is quantum tunnelling related to the concept of wormholes?

While quantum tunnelling and wormholes both involve the idea of particles passing through barriers, they are not directly related. Wormholes are theoretical structures that connect two distant points in space-time, whereas quantum tunnelling involves particles passing through a barrier in their immediate surroundings.