Quantum:- SHO potential and its energy

In summary, the energy levels of a particle mass in a symmetric 3d SHO potential are determined by the principal quantum number n, which is the sum of the three quantum numbers nx, ny, and nz. For 10 electrons in the potential, the lowest possible value for the total energy is (9/2)*h-bar*\sqrt{\frac{C}{10me}}), while for 10 pi- mesons, the lowest possible value is (9/2)*h-bar*\sqrt{\frac{C}{2730me}}), taking into account the difference in energy levels between Fermions and Bosons. The atomic quantum numbers nlm do not apply in this scenario.
indie452

Homework Statement

the energy levels of a particle mass in a symmetric 3d SHO potential are:

E = (nx + ny + nz + 3/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{m}}[/tex]

C=constant
n=principal quantum number = nx + ny + nz

A) If 10 electrons are in the potential what's the lowest possible value for the total energy of all the electrons?

B) If instead 10 pi- mesons are placed in th same potential what is the lowest possible value of the total energy of the mesons?

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
for 10 electrons with + or - 1/2 spin the l quantum number is 2 as if the electrons were in an atom there would be s, p, d orbitals
This means that n is and integer greater than 2 [lowest n is 3]

so E = (3+3/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{m}}[/tex])
me = mass of electron

= (9/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{10me}}[/tex])

i did think that maybe the l quantum number should be 3 but it doesn't need to be in this example it just has 2 as the lowest possible. if all electrons had same spin direction then it would need l=3 due to PEP

B)
would the answer be the same as above? as l=2 but the mass would be 2730me as pi meson is approx 273 times mass of electron
= (9/2)*h-bar*[tex]\sqrt{\frac{C}{2730me}}[/tex])

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that the electron is a Fermion and the pi meson is a Boson. The energy levels they can occupy are different.

The atomic quantum numbers [itex]nlm[/itex] don't apply at all here. That's for an electron in a Coulomb potential. In the 3D SHO, the states are labeled by [itex]n_x[/itex], [itex]n_y[/itex], and [itex]n_z[/itex]. The ground state would be [itex](n_x,n_y,n_z)=(0,0,0)[/itex]. At the next energy level, there are three degenerate states, [itex](1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)[/itex], and so on.

Related to Quantum:- SHO potential and its energy

1. What is a SHO potential in quantum mechanics?

A SHO (Simple Harmonic Oscillator) potential is a type of potential energy function that is commonly used to describe the behavior of a quantum particle in a harmonic oscillator. It is characterized by a parabolic shape, with the minimum point representing the equilibrium position of the particle.

2. What is the energy of a particle in a SHO potential?

The energy of a particle in a SHO potential is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values. These energy levels are determined by the quantum number n, with higher n values corresponding to higher energy levels. The lowest energy level (n=0) is known as the ground state.

3. How does the energy of a SHO potential change with the quantum number n?

The energy of a SHO potential increases with the quantum number n, following a linear relationship. This means that as the quantum number increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced together.

4. What are the applications of the SHO potential in quantum mechanics?

The SHO potential is used in various areas of quantum mechanics, including the study of molecular vibrations, atomic and molecular spectroscopy, and the behavior of particles in solid-state materials. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding quantum systems and their energy states.

5. How does the SHO potential relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The SHO potential plays a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. In the case of the SHO potential, the more precisely we know the position of the particle, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics.