Quantum Principles of Quantum Computers

In summary, quantum computers use a superposition of states to solve problems much faster than traditional computers.
kye
I understood many maths of QM and even QFT.. but I can't totally understand how a quantum computer can factorize millions of times faster. In normal turing machine, there is 0 and 1. But in quantum computers, there is 0 and 1 and superpositions of it.. meaning it can be 0.0001 or 0.5253 or 0.874 or anything in between.. meaning billions of combinations in superposition, is this right? But we know that when we measure, there is only one value, so how do they use it to compute? it's something about entangling it with another particle. I have visited dozens of websites about quantum computer, it's not yet clear how it works. Anyone can point me to a good site with very clear explanation or produce some rough ideas yourself. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kye said:
But we know that when we measure, there is only one value, so how do they use it to compute?
I am not well versed in Shor's algorithm (factorization algorithm), but I can tell some things about Grover's algorithm (searching algorithm).
Basically all the quantum algorithms (though they are annoyingly few) use superposition principle to compute. In Grover's algorithm, the database is prepared in some superposed state [itex]| \Psi \rangle [/itex]. You apply certain Hamiltonian (and this is how you have to guess/design it) to the database, such that the state [itex]| \Psi \rangle [/itex] evolves nearer to [itex]| \phi \rangle [/itex] (something you are searching for) and the inner product, [itex]\langle \phi| \Psi \rangle [/itex] increases (magnitude-wise). From some theoretical calculations you can find out the number of iterations to maximize the inner product. Then you measure it and get the desired result with high probability (which in some cases is unity!).
If the required [itex]| \phi \rangle [/itex] is not there in database, you get nothing on measurement.

Last edited:
I see. I'll think of it.

Anyway. Does anyone know how to relate quantum computers with Ballentine Essemble Interpetation since here superposition doesn't occur in real time?

Related to Quantum Principles of Quantum Computers

1. What is a quantum computer?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to process and store information. Unlike classical computers, which use bits to represent information, quantum computers use quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

2. How do quantum computers work?

Quantum computers use qubits, which are subatomic particles or artificial systems that can exist in multiple states at the same time. These qubits are manipulated using quantum gates, which are mathematical operations that can change the state of the qubits. By combining and manipulating qubits, quantum computers can perform calculations and solve complex problems.

3. What is superposition and entanglement in quantum computing?

Superposition is a principle of quantum mechanics that allows qubits to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that a qubit can represent both a 0 and a 1 at the same time, whereas a classical bit can only represent one of those values. Entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more qubits are connected in such a way that the state of one qubit affects the state of the others, even when they are physically separated.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to greatly impact fields such as cryptography, chemistry, and artificial intelligence. It could be used to break current encryption methods, simulate complex chemical reactions, and improve machine learning algorithms. Quantum computers may also help solve optimization problems, such as finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck.

5. What are the challenges facing the development of quantum computers?

The development of quantum computers is still in its early stages and faces several challenges. One major challenge is maintaining the delicate quantum states of qubits, as they are easily disrupted by external factors. Another challenge is scaling up quantum computers to handle larger and more complex problems. Additionally, there is a lack of widely available programming languages and tools for quantum computing, making it difficult for researchers and scientists to utilize these machines effectively.