Quantum physics potential barrier R and T

In summary, the conversation is about proving expression 6-44, which relates reflection and transmission coefficients to the ratio of E/V0. The problem involves expressing k1 and k2 in terms of V and E. The solution involves using the expressions for k1 and k2 provided in the picture and dividing R by sqrt(2mE) to get the desired result.
kato

Homework Statement

Prove (6-44) which expresses the reflection and transmission coefficients in terms of the ratio E/V0.

Homework Equations

[/B]
2cprwur.png

The Attempt at a Solution

express k1 and k2 in terms of V/E? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to take the second expression for R for granted and show that with the correct expressions for k1 and k2, you get the R in 6-44?

If so, then yes, just express k1 and k2 in terms of V and E and you should get 6-44 out of it.

Yes, Matterwave. How can i express k1 and k2 in terms of V and E? i have no idea

Thank you

Isn't that included in the picture? Right below the expression 6-44?

If i use those expressions i can't get the expression 6-44, the books says hint: Expresses k1 and k2 in terms of V/E but i don't know what that means

Using the k1 and k2 provided in the picture works just fine for me... maybe you can show the steps in your work?

you are right i use R and divided by sqrt(2mE) and got the result.

Thank you

Related to Quantum physics potential barrier R and T

1. What is a potential barrier in quantum physics?

A potential barrier in quantum physics refers to a region in space where the potential energy is higher than the total energy of a particle. This barrier can prevent the particle from passing through it, and it is a key concept in understanding phenomena such as tunneling and quantum confinement.

2. How is the potential barrier related to the R and T coefficients?

The R and T coefficients, also known as the reflection and transmission coefficients, are used to describe the behavior of a particle encountering a potential barrier. These coefficients represent the probability that the particle will either reflect off the barrier or pass through it, respectively.

3. What factors affect the R and T coefficients in quantum physics?

The R and T coefficients are affected by several factors, including the height and width of the potential barrier, the energy of the particle, and the shape of the barrier. These coefficients can also be influenced by the quantum mechanical properties of the particle, such as its spin or angular momentum.

4. How does the potential barrier impact the behavior of particles in quantum systems?

The presence of a potential barrier can significantly alter the behavior of particles in quantum systems. For example, it can lead to phenomena such as tunneling, where particles can pass through the barrier even if they do not have enough energy to overcome it. The potential barrier can also cause particles to become confined to certain regions of space, leading to quantum states and energy levels.

5. Can potential barriers be manipulated in quantum systems?

Yes, potential barriers can be manipulated in quantum systems through various methods such as applying an external electric field or changing the shape of the barrier. This manipulation can have significant implications for controlling the behavior and properties of particles in quantum systems, making it an important area of research in quantum physics.