Quantum Physics - Measurement/Eigenvalues(functions)

In summary, the eigenvalues of the observable C, which is the sum of two observables A and B with eigenvalues of 1 and -1, are 2 and -2. However, to find the eigenvalues of C, one needs to represent the eigenfunctions of A and B in terms of a transformation matrix and use the equation F = ∑iλi fi†fi to construct A and B before finding the eigenvalues of C.
Plutoniummatt

Homework Statement

For a certain system, an observable A has eigenvalues 1 and -1, with corresponding eigenfunctions [tex]u_+[/tex] and [tex]u_-[/tex]. Another observable B also has eigenvalues 1 and -1, but with corresponding eigenfunctions:

[tex]v_+ = \frac{u_+ + u_1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]v_- = \frac{u_+ - u_1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Find the possible results of a measurement of C = A+B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Measured values are just the eigenvalues, in this case, the eigenvalues of C are just 2 and -2? but the answer is [tex]\pm\sqrt{2}[/tex]...I'm aware that the [tex]1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] in the eigenfunctions of B will make my answer "correct" but then they're not the eigenvalues anymore?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plutoniummatt said:
Measured values are just the eigenvalues, in this case, the eigenvalues of C are just 2 and -2?

Why do you say this?

gabbagabbahey said:
Why do you say this?

if C = A + B, and A and B both have eigenvalues of 1 and -1, then the eigenvalues of C are 2 and -2?

Plutoniummatt said:
if C = A + B, and A and B both have eigenvalues of 1 and -1, then the eigenvalues of C are 2 and -2?

No, why would you think this was true?

gabbagabbahey said:
No, why would you think this was true?

then how do I do this question?

Plutoniummatt said:
then how do I do this question?
The same way one usually finds the eigenvalues of an operator...

gabbagabbahey said:
The same way one usually finds the eigenvalues of an operator...

helpful. Much thanks!...

does anyone have the patience to tell me how to do this problem?

Plutoniummatt said:
does anyone have the patience to tell me how to do this problem?

If I gave you an operator in matrix form and asked you to calculate its eigenvalues, could you do it?

gabbagabbahey said:
If I gave you an operator in matrix form and asked you to calculate its eigenvalues, could you do it?

yes...

Okay, so if you can put [itex]C[/itex] into matrix form, you can find its eigenvalues...do you see how to put [itex]C[/itex] into matrix form? How about putting [itex]A[/itex] into matrix form (you are given both its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, so this should be trivial)?

gabbagabbahey said:
Okay, so if you can put [itex]C[/itex] into matrix form, you can find its eigenvalues...do you see how to put [itex]C[/itex] into matrix form? How about putting [itex]A[/itex] into matrix form (you are given both its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, so this should be trivial)?

yes I can do put A in matrix form, for B do I need to use the transformation matrix and transform B into A basis?

Plutoniummatt said:
yes I can do put A in matrix form,

Good, and what do you get when you do that?

for B do I need to use the transformation matrix and transform B into A basis?

You can do it without a transformation matrix since you are given [itex]B[/itex]'s eigenfunctions in terms of [itex]A's[/itex] eigenfunctions.

[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\1 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] for A

is there a systematic way of getting B or do I just write down the eigenvectors of B in terms of the eigenvectors of A and see which numbers i should put in?

Plutoniummatt said:
[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1\\1 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] for A

That doesn't look right, how did you end up with this?

[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0\\0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] for A

sorry i messed up the typing

That's better, so I see you are representing the eigenfunctions of [itex]A[/itex] as

[tex]u_{+}\to\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]u_{-}\to\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

correct?

What does this make [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] in this representation?

gabbagabbahey said:
That's better, so I see you are representing the eigenfunctions of [itex]A[/itex] as

[tex]u_{+}\to\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]u_{-}\to\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

correct?

What does this make [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] in this representation?

yes

my [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] would be:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ \pm 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

so B would be [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

but I had to just look at it and see what numbers i should assign for B, is there a better way of doing it?

oh and i got the correct eigenvalues! thanks so much...i was really confused

Last edited:
Plutoniummatt said:
my [itex]v_{\pm}[/itex] would be:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ \pm 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Good.

so B would be [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

No, this isn't quite correct.

but I had to just look at it and see what numbers i should assign for B, is there a better way of doing it?

Any operator [itex]F[/itex] can be decomposed in terms of its eigenvalues, [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] and corresponding eigenfunctions [itex]f_i[/itex] (provided they are orthogonal) according to the equation

[tex]F=\sum_{i}\lambda_i f_i^\dagger f_i[/itex]

(Where [itex]f_i^\dagger[/itex] is the adjoint of [itex]f_i[/itex])

Does this look familiar? If so, you can use it to construct [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] from their eigenvalues/eigenvectors (this is what I had thought you had done to find [itex]A[/itex], but apparently you used some other method)

gabbagabbahey said:
Good.

No, this isn't quite correct.

Any operator [itex]F[/itex] can be decomposed in terms of its eigenvalues, [itex]\lambda_{i}[/itex] and corresponding eigenfunctions [itex]f_i[/itex] (provided they are orthogonal) according to the equation

[tex]F=\sum_{i}\lambda_i f_i^\dagger f_i[/itex]

(Where [itex]f_i^\dagger[/itex] is the adjoint of [itex]f_i[/itex])

Does this look familiar? If so, you can use it to construct [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] from their eigenvalues/eigenvectors (this is what I had thought you had done to find [itex]A[/itex], but apparently you used some other method)

for B i used the transformation matrix:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\1 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

which means B =

[itex]\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\1 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\1 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

which is [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Related to Quantum Physics - Measurement/Eigenvalues(functions)

1. What is the measurement problem in quantum physics?

The measurement problem in quantum physics refers to the paradoxical nature of the act of measuring quantum systems. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the act of measurement can change the state of a system, making it impossible to determine the precise properties of the system before and after the measurement.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions in quantum physics?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are mathematical concepts used to describe the properties of quantum systems. Eigenvalues represent the possible outcomes of a measurement, while eigenfunctions are the corresponding states of the system that can lead to those outcomes. In quantum mechanics, these concepts are used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state after a measurement is made.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are used to calculate the probabilities of a particle being in a certain position or having a certain momentum. Therefore, the uncertainty principle is related to the measurement of these properties using eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

4. Can the eigenvalues of a quantum system change over time?

No, the eigenvalues of a quantum system do not change over time. They are inherent properties of the system and are not affected by external factors. However, the probabilities of obtaining different eigenvalues may change over time as the system evolves.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions used in practical applications of quantum physics?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are used in practical applications of quantum physics, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. In quantum computing, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are used to represent the states of qubits, the basic units of quantum information. In quantum cryptography, they are used to encode and decode information in a secure manner.