Quantum Physics, angular momentum

In summary, quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles and energy at the subatomic level. Angular momentum in quantum physics is a physical quantity that describes the rotation of particles and is quantized. It is measured using operators and is significant in understanding particle behavior and interactions. In quantum physics, spin is a type of angular momentum that is intrinsic to particles and is quantized. It plays a key role in understanding the structure and behavior of matter at the subatomic level.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

An energy level of a certain isolated atom is split into three components by the
hyperfine interaction coupling of the electronic and nuclear angular momenta. The
quantum number j , specifying the magnitude of the total electronic angular
momentum for the level, has the value j = 3/2 . What is the quantum number i, specifying
the magnitude of the nuclear angular momentum?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused as to how to incorporate the electronic angular momentum. I'm not sure that I need it. The question mentions that the atom is split into 3 components because of the hyperfine interaction. So to me, that says that whatever energy state the electron was in will be split into 3 more energy states and if this is so then it seems like the nuclear angular momentum should be i = 1 so that each component of i will be -1, 0, 1.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
Am I thinking about this correctly?
You are not, and yes, you do need the electronic angular momentum. The three observed states are the result of coupling electronic angular momentum J= 3/2 to nuclear spin I to get total spin F. In other words
F = 3/2 + I (following the rules of addition of angular momenta)
Now answer these questions.
1. What must F be so that 2F+1 = 3? (Easy)
2. What must nuclear spin I be so that F = the above answer?

Hey thanks a lot for your response.

Everything you said makes sense. But I'm actually given the answer to this problem and it's listed as I = 1. I guess I tried to reverse engineer the explanation by having the answer and I'm more confused. I suppose the answer could be wrong. It's from a practice GRE exam.

Could the discrepancy be that the question is asking not for the total angular momentum of the atom and just of the nucleus and so because the hyperfine interaction splits the energy into 3 states we need to look for an I such that 2I+1 = 3?

Thanks a lot.

eprparadox said:
Everything you said makes sense. But I'm actually given the answer to this problem and it's listed as I = 1. I guess I tried to reverse engineer the explanation by having the answer and I'm more confused. I suppose the answer could be wrong. It's from a practice GRE exam.
The answer is not wrong. You did not follow through with the answers to the questions that I asked you. Anyway, let's reverse engineer. Assume that J = 3/2 and I = 1. What are the possible values of F such that F = J + I?
Could the discrepancy be that the question is asking not for the total angular momentum of the atom and just of the nucleus and so because the hyperfine interaction splits the energy into 3 states we need to look for an I such that 2I+1 = 3?
What discrepancy is this? I don't see one.

Sorry, I wasn't thorough enough in my last response.

I did go through what you mentioned in your initial post.

This is just F = 1.

Going back to F = 3/2 + I, then if F = 1, I = -1/2.

Is this correct?

So the answer for the magnitude of I be 1/2?

Thanks for the help.

I suspect you don't know how to add angular momenta. If your plan is to take the GRE, addition of angular momenta is likely to be on it in one form or another. Please review the subjects "addition of angular momenta" an example of which is "L-S coupling". It is more important for you to understand how this works than to get the answer to this particular question.

Basically, when you add two angular momenta in quantum mechanics, you can view this as a vector addition with the constraint that the resultant must a valid quantum angular momentum, i.e. integer or half-integer, and never negative.

An example of addition of angular momenta can be found at

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/vecmod.html#c2

You should also be able to find how this is done in any Modern Physics or Quantum Mechanics textbook.

I think you're definitely right. I'm going to go back and read this over and hopefully this concept will no longer be troubling.

Thanks a lot, though, for your responses. I really appreciate it. Sorry to have wasted your time.

eprparadox said:
I think you're definitely right. I'm going to go back and read this over and hopefully this concept will no longer be troubling.

Thanks a lot, though, for your responses. I really appreciate it. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Not a waste of time. If you're still troubled after your review, come back for more help.

kuruman said:
You are not, and yes, you do need the electronic angular momentum. The three observed states are the result of coupling electronic angular momentum J= 3/2 to nuclear spin I to get total spin F. In other words
F = 3/2 + I (following the rules of addition of angular momenta)
Now answer these questions.

dont we have to make corrections, nuclear and relativistic?

I don't think so. This is a simple question on addition of angular momenta.

Related to Quantum Physics, angular momentum

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles and energy at the subatomic level. It explains how particles behave differently from classical physics predictions and how they interact with each other.

2. What is angular momentum in quantum physics?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotation of a particle or system of particles. In quantum physics, angular momentum is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values in multiples of Planck's constant.

3. How is angular momentum measured in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, angular momentum is measured using the operators for angular momentum, which are mathematical equations that represent the physical quantity. The measurement is represented by the eigenvalues of the operator, which correspond to the possible values of angular momentum.

4. What is the significance of angular momentum in quantum physics?

Angular momentum is a fundamental property of particles and is crucial in understanding their behavior and interactions. It plays a key role in many physical phenomena, such as the stability of atoms and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. What is the relationship between angular momentum and spin in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, spin is a type of angular momentum that is intrinsic to particles and cannot be explained by classical physics. Spin is quantized and can take on values of either half-integer or integer multiples of Planck's constant. It is an important concept in understanding the structure and behavior of matter at the subatomic level.