Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x)

In summary, the problem involves calculating psi(x) using the given A(k) and the equation psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) ei(kx-wt) dk. The integral can be solved by writing k2+a2 as (k+ia)(k-ia) and using the residue theorem in the complex k plane. The resulting residue is e-ax/2ai.
Felicity

Homework Statement

this problem is from (chapter 2 problem 1, gasiorowicz, quantum physics) where I am given
A(k) = N/(k2+a2) and must calculate psi(x)

Homework Equations

I am using the equation
psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) ei(kx-wt) dk

which when t=0 goes to

psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) eikx dk

The Attempt at a Solution

integral from - infinity to + infinity of
N/(k2+a2) * eikx dk

is this a good approach? How can I solve the integral?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Felicity said:

Homework Statement

this problem is from (chapter 2 problem 1, gasiorowicz, quantum physics) where I am given
A(k) = N/(k2+a2) and must calculate psi(x)

Homework Equations

I am using the equation
psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) ei(kx-wt) dk

which when t=0 goes to

psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) eikx dk

The Attempt at a Solution

integral from - infinity to + infinity of
N/(k2+a2) * eikx dk

is this a good approach? How can I solve the integral?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

yes it is the right approach.
just write
k2 + a2 as (k+ia)(k-ia)
and then do the integral in the complex k plane, closing above the real k axis so that eikx goes to zero and use the residue theorem

Thank you so much! would the residue then be e-ax/2ai ?

Related to Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x)

1. What is the basic concept of Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x)?

The basic concept of Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) is the mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It involves the use of wave functions to represent the probability of finding a particle at a certain location, and the use of operators to describe the behavior of particles in different states.

2. How is Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) different from classical physics?

Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, where classical physics breaks down. It also takes into account the principles of uncertainty and superposition, which are not present in classical physics.

3. What is the significance of the wave function in Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x)?

The wave function in Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) represents the probability of finding a particle at a certain location. It is essential in understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level and is used to calculate the expected outcomes of experiments.

4. How does Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) relate to the theory of relativity?

Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) and the theory of relativity are two of the most fundamental theories in physics, but they describe different aspects of reality. While the theory of relativity explains the behavior of objects in the macroscopic world, Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

5. What are some practical applications of Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x)?

Quantum Physics A(k) to psi(x) has many practical applications, such as in the development of transistors and lasers used in modern technology. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing quantum computing and cryptography. Additionally, it has helped to explain phenomena such as superconductivity and the behavior of atoms in a magnetic field.