Quantum phsics and x-ray physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with various physics problems. They are given a formula for calculating de Broglie wavelength and asked to plug in the values with proper units, but they are struggling with understanding basic concepts such as units and dimensions. The conversation ends with the person being given assistance in converting units and solving the problem.
whiteshado
is there anyone on here who could help me out with either of these?

Physics news on Phys.org
heres a sample question
Calculate the de Broglie wavelength of a 5,000 kg truck traveling at 80 kph. (Round answer to nearest hundredth.)

Help you with what? Are you doing a project? Or do you just have a bunch of questions? Just post your questions and people will help you with them. For the one above, that's just plug and chug. The formula for deBroglie wavelength is p = h/λ, where h is Plancks constant.

λ=5.97x e-39
tahts the answer now how did i get it
and i have a lot of questions like this i just don't know how they are done

ill post 2 mroe then i have to go for a while
Calculate the uncertainty of the velocity of a particle confined to a space of 10-9 m if the particle is an electron
(me = 9.1 · 10-31 kg)

delta v=__________m/sec

and

Calculate the uncertainty of the velocity of a particle confined to a space of 10-9 m if the particle is a proton
(mp = 1.7 · 10-27 kg)

delta v=___________m/sec

tahnks for your help
btw if you didnt get this already i want how to get the answer not the answer

There are no concepts here. You just find p (which is m*v), look up the value for h, plug them in, and solve for λ. Feel free to ask any other questions right here, you don't need to ask for permission.

Are you asking where the formula comes from? If so, that's a little complicated, but I can give you a rough sketch.

If you're asking how to plug numbers into a formula, you need to take a lot more math classes before you get into QM.

StatusX said:
There are no concepts here. You just find p (which is m*v), look up the value for h, plug them in, and solve for λ. Feel free to ask any other questions right here, you don't need to ask for permission.
m and v mass and velocity
is that right? so the answer would be 5000*80*6.63e-34 correct? but it doesn't get the correct answer

and yes i know how to as you say "plug and chug"

p=h/λ, so λ=h/p. Why are you doing these problems if you're still not comfortable with basic high school physics and math?

StatusX said:
p=h/λ, so λ=h/p. Why are you doing these problems if you're still not comfortable with basic high school physics and math?
that still doesn't get the correct answer
λ=h/p
6.63e-34/(5000*80) =λ doesn't get the correct answer so either your wrong or you just don't get what I am asking for can you do teh question if so past your work on this page that's all i ask for

Make sure everything is in SI units before you start solving.

Last edited:
whiteshado said:
that still doesn't get the correct answer
λ=h/p
6.63e-34/(5000*80) =λ doesn't get the correct answer so either your wrong or you just don't get what I am asking for can you do teh question if so past your work on this page that's all i ask for
No, whiteshado : StatusX is perfectly correct.

You need to learn the following things first (way before you do Quantum Physics) :

1. Basic algebra and arithmetic
2. Units and dimensions

take care of these and you'll be able to handle the first problem.

We will not provide answers/solutions to your problems. That is not what this forum is meant for. If you need help with specific concepts, ask away, but if you have homework to do, we can not help unless you show what effort you have made.

no i have the answers i posted the answer
λ=5.97x e-39
but how did i get it?

ok how about a simpler one i need the equation for finding the frequency for a wavelength

What's the SI unit for velocity ?

Daniel.

whiteshado said:
no i have the answers i posted the answer
λ=5.97x e-39
but how did i get it?

The answer you give is meaningless. You have no units (unless that x you have is not "times" but some constant with a unit). Wavelength is not dimensionless.

Calculate the de Broglie wavelength of a 5,000 kg truck traveling at 80 kph
λ=5.97 e-39m

Alright.Now did u find out how to derive this result...?

Daniel.

sigh taht is waht i am trying to find out... but no one reads on this fourm

and someone said I am am just trying to get people to do my homework well how many people who want their homework done post the answer to their questions

You've been told that

[tex] \lambda \ \left(\mbox{m}\right)=\frac{h \ \left(\mbox{Kg}\cdot\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}^{2}}\cdot\mbox{m}\cdot\mbox{s}\right)}{p \ \left(\mbox{Kg}\cdot\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}}\right)} [/tex]

Now plug the values paying attention to the units.Planck's constant is given in [itex] \mbox{J}\cdot\mbox{s} [/itex] which u can show to be equal to [itex] \mbox{Kg}\cdot\frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}^{2}}\cdot\mbox{m}\cdot\mbox{s}[/itex].

U need to find the truck's momentum in SI units.Basically,u need to convert its speed from [itex] \frac{\mbox{Km}}{\mbox{hr}} [/itex] to [itex] \frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}} [/itex].

Daniel.

Last edited:
You need to have everything in SI units. That means m, s, kg, etc. Whenever you see a km, turn it into a m. When you see an hour, make it a second. For example, 5 km would have to be put into the formula as 5000 m.

Here's another way to do it. Write out h/p with units on all the numbers. You'll get something like 5 m/km s/hr... m. Everything must be turned into a number except the final unit you want, in this case, 'm'.

Why are you doing these problems? It's bad enough when high school students are told to plug numbers into a formula without any understanding, but you don't even seem to be ready to do that.

wow finally some real help taht is exatly what i wanted

woo i got the answer

Related to Quantum phsics and x-ray physics

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles as waves with probabilities rather than definite states.

How does quantum physics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum physics explains the behavior of particles through principles such as superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. These principles suggest that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and can influence each other even when separated by large distances.

What is the role of x-ray physics in medical imaging?

X-ray physics plays a crucial role in medical imaging as it allows us to create images of the internal structures of the human body. X-rays are able to pass through soft tissues, but are absorbed by denser materials such as bones, allowing us to create detailed images of bones and other structures.

How have advancements in quantum physics and x-ray technology improved medical imaging?

Advancements in quantum physics and x-ray technology have greatly improved medical imaging by allowing for higher resolution images with lower radiation doses. This has led to earlier and more accurate diagnoses, as well as safer procedures for patients.

What are the potential future applications of quantum physics and x-ray technology?

The potential future applications of quantum physics and x-ray technology include faster and more accurate medical diagnoses, more precise cancer treatments, and the development of new imaging techniques for studying materials at the atomic level.