Quantum number / orbital question

In summary, quantum numbers are numerical values that describe the energy levels and properties of electrons in an atom. There are four quantum numbers: principal, angular momentum, magnetic, and spin, each describing a different aspect of an electron's energy and location. The principal quantum number determines the main energy level and size of an electron's orbital, while the angular momentum quantum number describes the shape of the orbital. The spin quantum number represents the direction of an electron's spin within the orbital.
lorka150
For the pairs below, I need to name the orbital they describe... I just am checking that I am on the right track:

a) n=5, l=0 >> 5s
b) n=3, l=1 >> 3p
c) n=4, l=2 >> 4d

if those are not correct, can someone lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good

Yeap, when l=0, the orbital is s.
l=1... Orbital p
l=2... Orbital d
l=3... Orbital f
l=4... Orbital g
and so on...

Related to Quantum number / orbital question

1. What are quantum numbers and what do they represent?

Quantum numbers are numerical values that describe the energy levels and properties of electrons in an atom. They represent the allowed energy states of electrons and their spatial distribution within an atom.

2. How many quantum numbers are there?

There are four quantum numbers: principal, angular momentum, magnetic, and spin. Each quantum number describes a different aspect of an electron's energy and location within an atom.

3. What is the purpose of the principal quantum number?

The principal quantum number, symbolized as "n", describes the main energy level or shell that an electron occupies in an atom. It determines the size and energy of an electron's orbital.

4. How does the angular momentum quantum number differ from the principal quantum number?

The angular momentum quantum number, symbolized as "l", describes the shape of an electron's orbital within a specific energy level. It can have values ranging from 0 to n-1, representing the different sublevels within a shell.

5. What is the significance of the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number, symbolized as "s", describes the direction of an electron's spin within an orbital. It can have values of +1/2 or -1/2, representing the two possible spin orientations of an electron.