Quantum Mechanics without time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of time in quantum mechanics and whether there are any theories that do not include time as a concept. The conclusion is that while some theories may suggest the absence of time, it is still an important factor in understanding quantum mechanics. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of retrocausality, but it is dismissed as not being a valid aspect of physics.
entropy1
Is there a view in quantummechanics, of quantummechanics, without time as a concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and BvU
Indeed, even those who claim that time does not exist at the fundamental level, still try to explain how effective time emerges at an effective level.

Likes vanhees71
entropy1 said:
Is there a view in quantummechanics, of quantummechanics, without time as a concept?
Why? Just asking about the motivation of the question.

Likes vanhees71
martinbn said:
Why? Just asking about the motivation of the question.
I am thinking some things over in which timelessness could explain some things. For example retrocausality.

entropy1 said:
I am thinking some things over in which timelessness could explain some things.
Well, that clarifies somethings about things.

martinbn said:
Well, that clarifies somethings about things.
Yes, I can't tell you much because they are not purely physics nor is it decently worked out. Kind'a crackpot. 🤪 But everyone many thanks for answering!

Last edited:
Since there is no retrocausality in physics (neither in classical nor quantum) your don't need to bother to think about QT without time. :oldbiggrin:

I heard somewhere sometime that some QM theories have no time. But now I think of it, that seems a bit silly because it obviously does exist in some way.

entropy1 said:
I heard somewhere sometime
This is not a valid reference. Please give a specific link to a specific reference. If you don't have one, then please refrain from making such vague references in the first place.

This thread is closed.

Related to Quantum Mechanics without time?

1. What is quantum mechanics without time?

Quantum mechanics without time is a theoretical framework that aims to explain the behavior of particles and systems without the concept of time. It suggests that time is not a fundamental aspect of the universe and can be eliminated from the equations of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum mechanics without time differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

In traditional quantum mechanics, time is considered a fundamental aspect of the universe and is included in the equations. However, in quantum mechanics without time, time is treated as an emergent property and is not included in the equations. This allows for a more fundamental understanding of quantum mechanics and may lead to new insights and predictions.

3. What implications does quantum mechanics without time have on our understanding of the universe?

Quantum mechanics without time challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and raises questions about the nature of time and its role in the behavior of particles and systems. It also has implications for the concept of causality and the arrow of time.

4. Is there any evidence or experiments that support the concept of quantum mechanics without time?

Currently, there is no direct evidence or experiments that support quantum mechanics without time. However, some theories and models, such as loop quantum gravity and the Wheeler-DeWitt equation, incorporate elements of quantum mechanics without time and have gained some support from the scientific community.

5. How can quantum mechanics without time be applied in practical applications?

At this point, quantum mechanics without time is still a theoretical framework and has not been applied in practical applications. However, it has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the quantum world and may lead to new technologies and advancements in the future.