Quantum mechanics - spin operator eigenvalue probability?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the probability of a measurement of the y-component of a spin-1/2 particle, given a vector u expressed in the basis of Sz eigenstates. The question arises of whether u can be put into an eigenvalue equation for S_y, and it is determined that u is not an eigenstate of S_y. The conversation then delves into the eigenstates of S_y and the issue of normalization.
jeebs
Hi,
I have this problem on a past exam paper I am having some trouble with:

"in the conventional basis of the eigenstates of the Sz operator, the spin state of a spin-1/2 particle is described by the vector:

[tex] u = \left( \stackrel{cos a}{e^i^b sina} \right)[/tex] where a and B are constants.

find the probability that a measurement of the y-component of the spin of the particle will yield the result [tex] 0.5\hbar [/tex] ."

For the life of me I cannot work out how to write out matrices legibly on this thing, so I will summarize what is bothering me. I am given pauli matrices [tex] \sigma_x_,_y_,_z [/tex]that I cannot write out properly, and the spin operator is given by [tex] S_i = i\hbar\sigma_i [/tex].

In the question I am given the vector u, which is apparently expressed in the basis of Sz eigenstates.

Am I justified in putting this vector u into an eigenvalue equation [tex] S_{y} u = a_{y} u [/tex] ,

where ay is my eigenvalue, when the vector I would be operating on is made from a basis of eigenstates of another operator (Sz)?

I tried this and got two equations for ay, neither of which gives [tex] a_y = 0.5\hbar [/tex].

does this mean I can conclude that there is zero probability of finding the y-component of the spin being equal to [tex] 0.5\hbar [/tex] ?

or do I somehow have to wangle it so that I get another vector (not u) that is in the Sy eigenstate basis?

thanks.

PS. sorry, this crazy thing will not let me change something 5 lines up where I should have said
"Am I justified in putting this vector u into an eigenvalue equation S_y u = 0.5\hbar u"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
"Am I justified in putting this vector u into an eigenvalue equation S_y u = 0.5\hbar u"

You tell me. If [itex]u[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]S_z[/itex], is it also an eigenvector of S_y[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
You tell me. If [itex]u[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]S_z[/itex], is it also an eigenvector of S_y[/itex]?

are you actually asking me, do these two operators commute? and if their commutator [Sy, Sz] = 0, then yes they do?

is that right, if the eigenvector of one operator is equal to the eigenvector of another, then the operators commute?

jeebs said:
if the eigenvector of one operator is equal to the eigenvector of another, then the operators commute?

Yes. So, do [itex]S_z[/itex] and [itex]S_y[/itex] commute?

gabbagabbahey said:
Yes. So, do [itex]S_z[/itex] and [itex]S_y[/itex] commute?

not by my calculations, although I just woke up 5 minutes ago. I get [Sy,Sz] is equal to
(hbar^2)/4 multiplied by a 2x2 matrix containing zeros on the leading diagonal and 2i elsewhere.

Right, they don't commute; [itex][S_y,S_z]=i\hbar S_x[/itex]. So, [itex]u[/itex] is clearly not an eigenstate of [itex]S_y[/itex].

What are the eigenstates of [itex]S_y[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
Right, they don't commute; [itex][S_y,S_z]=i\hbar S_x[/itex]. So, [itex]u[/itex] is clearly not an eigenstate of [itex]S_y[/itex].

What are the eigenstates of [itex]S_y[/itex]?

i got that one of them was the column vector, say, x:
x_1

ix_1

and the other vector y:
y_1

-iy_1

but I was not convinced by this because, if the upper component is say, x1, and I choose x1 = 1, then if I go to normalize it i do
1/sqrt[(1^2) + (i^2)] = 1/(1-1) = 0, so how can this be right if I am getting a normalization constant of zero?

You forgot to take the conjugate. You should be calculating [itex]\langle x|x \rangle = x^\dagger x[/itex], not [itex]x^T x[/itex].

Related to Quantum mechanics - spin operator eigenvalue probability?

1. What is the spin operator in quantum mechanics?

The spin operator is a mathematical representation of an intrinsic property of particles called spin. It is denoted by the symbol S and is used to describe the angular momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics.

2. What are eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues in quantum mechanics represent the possible measurable values of a physical property of a quantum system. They are obtained by solving an eigenvalue equation using the corresponding operator.

3. How is the eigenvalue of the spin operator related to the spin of a particle?

The eigenvalue of the spin operator represents the possible values of the spin of a particle. In other words, it is the spin of a particle in its most stable state, also known as the ground state. The possible eigenvalues for the spin operator are ± ħ/2, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. What is the probability of obtaining a specific spin value for a particle?

In quantum mechanics, the probability of obtaining a specific spin value for a particle is given by the square of the absolute value of the wave function. This is known as the probability density, and it represents the likelihood of finding a particle in a specific state.

5. How does the spin operator affect the behavior of a particle?

The spin operator affects the behavior of a particle by determining the possible spin values and their associated probabilities. It also plays a crucial role in the spin dynamics of particles, such as spin precession and spin resonance, which are important in many applications of quantum mechanics, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and quantum computing.