Quantum Mechanics: Matrix Representation

In summary, the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{\hat J}_z## using the states ##|+y\rangle## and ##|-y\rangle## as a basis is as follows: \langle \pm z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid \pm z \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\\end{array}}\right], while the attempt at a solution is given as: \langle \pm y \mid \mathbb{I} \mathbb{\hat J}_z \math
Robben

Homework Statement

What is the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{\hat J}_z## using the states ##|+y\rangle## and ##|-y\rangle## as a basis?

Homework Equations

##|\pm y\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+z\rangle \pm \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}|-z\rangle##

The Attempt at a Solution

A solution was given:

##\mathbb{\hat J}_z =\left[{\begin{array}{cc} \langle +y|+z\rangle & \langle +y|-z\rangle \\ \langle -y|+z\rangle & \langle -y|-z\rangle \\\end{array}}\right]\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\\end{array}}\right]
\left[{\begin{array}{cc} \langle +z|+y\rangle & \langle +z|-y\rangle \\ \langle -z|+y\rangle & \langle -z|-y\rangle \\\end{array}}\right] = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \\\end{array}}\right],##

but I am confused on what is going on? Can anyone explain exactly what is going on, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the operator [itex] \mathbb{\hat J}_z [/itex]. Normally you represent that in the z-basis, so in matrix notation the 4 matrix elements that you already know are [itex] \langle \pm z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid \pm z \rangle [/itex]. If you want to represent [itex] \mathbb{\hat J}_z [/itex] in another basis like y you have to know the matrix elements [itex] \langle \pm y \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid \pm y \rangle [/itex] . One way to do this is to insert a unit operator/identity matrix on both sides as this has no effect:
[tex] \langle \pm z \mid \mathbb{I} \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid \pm z \rangle [/tex]

Now if you know that you can write the identity matrix as [itex] \sum \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid [/itex] using the completeness relation you are practically done:

[tex] \langle \pm y \mid \mathbb{I} \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid \pm y \rangle = \langle \pm y \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid z \rangle \langle z \mid \pm y \rangle [/tex]

So the middle part [itex] \langle z \mid \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mid z \rangle [/itex] is the matrix in the already known basis
[itex] \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[{\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\\end{array}}\right] [/itex] And the outer parts are the matrices to transform it into an y basis.

(Note: I mix up the notation for matrix elements and the matrix itself. I probably miss a summation here and there, but I hope you understand the difference)

I think I understand now. Thank you very much!

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Matrix Representation

1. What is the matrix representation of quantum mechanics?

The matrix representation of quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and systems on the atomic and subatomic levels. It uses matrices to represent the state of a system and the operations that can be performed on that system.

2. How is the matrix representation used in quantum mechanics?

The matrix representation is used to solve problems and calculate the probabilities of various outcomes in quantum mechanics. It allows for the manipulation and analysis of the state of a system, as well as the prediction of future states based on the application of operators.

3. What are the advantages of using matrix representation in quantum mechanics?

The use of matrix representation in quantum mechanics allows for a more efficient and elegant way of solving problems and making predictions. It also allows for the application of linear algebra techniques, making complex calculations more manageable.

4. Are there any limitations to the matrix representation in quantum mechanics?

One limitation of the matrix representation is that it can only be applied to systems with a finite number of states. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, which can be significant on a quantum scale.

5. How does the matrix representation relate to other mathematical representations in quantum mechanics?

The matrix representation is just one of many mathematical representations used in quantum mechanics. It is closely related to the wave function and operator representations, and they can all be used to describe the same physical system. Each representation has its own advantages and can be used in different situations.