Quantum Mechanics: Harmonic Oscillator Variance.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate (Δx)^2 and (Δp)^2 to find the uncertainty principle. It involves using the formula Δx= <n|x^{2}|n>-<n|x|n>^{2}, where x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}(A^{-}+A^{+}) and A+ and A- are the raising and lowering operators. The conversation also touches on the concept of changing the eigenvector and eigenvalue when using the commutation relation, and ultimately leads to understanding how to solve the problem at hand.
Xyius

Homework Statement

The problem wants me to calculate (Δx)^2 and (Δp)^2 to find the uncertainty principle. Delta x is the variance and the problem gives the formula as..

[tex]Δx= <n|x^{2}|n>-<n|x|n>^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}}(A^{-}+A^{+})[/tex]
Where A+ and A- are the raising and lowering operator respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged in this expression for x into the above expression for the variance.
I have the answer in front of me, the math for a similar argument (when we have two different eigenvalues, k and n) is..

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5854/qmproblem3.png

Meaning, that it vanishes unless n=k+1 or k-1

My main confusion is this..

First we have..
[tex]<k|A^{-}+A^{+}|n>[/tex]
So I can distribute and get...
[tex]<k|A^{-}|n>+<k|A^{+}|n>[/tex]
But since A raises or lowers the eigenvalue...
[tex]<k|A^{-}|n>=(n-1)<k|n>[/tex]
Likewise..
[tex]<k|A^{+}|n>=(n+1)<k|n>[/tex]

Why does the image I linked to change the eigenvector? I thought it only changed the eigenvalue. With the answer I got n would have to be equal to k for it not to vanish.

If I can understand this concept I can do the problem without any problem.

When I was trying to find [itex]<n|x^{2}|n>[/itex]
I came to.. (Using a commutation relation)
[tex]\frac{m \omega \hbar}{2}<n|(A^+)^2+(A^-)^2+ 2A^{+}A^{-}-1|n>[/tex]
Which I then distributed as I did above, and it boils down to the same math.
This is supposed to be
[tex]\frac{m \omega \hbar}{2}(2n+1)[/tex]

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind! I realized that it does indeed change the eigenvector as well as the eigenvalue. Of course this must be true because it changes the state of the system, and you cannot have an eigenvector of one state with an eigenvalue of another. With this in mind, I have gotten the problem.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Harmonic Oscillator Variance.

1. What is a harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

A harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics refers to a system where the potential energy has a quadratic dependence on the position of the particle. This results in the particle oscillating back and forth between two points, similar to a pendulum or a spring.

2. What is the significance of variance in the harmonic oscillator?

Variance in the harmonic oscillator refers to the spread of the position or momentum values for a particle in the system. It is a measure of the uncertainty or unpredictability in the particle's position or momentum at any given time.

3. How is the variance of a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The variance of a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to a constant value. This results in a mathematical relationship between the variance of position and momentum.

4. What factors affect the variance in a harmonic oscillator?

The variance in a harmonic oscillator is affected by the energy of the system, the mass of the particle, and the strength of the potential. Higher energy levels, smaller masses, and weaker potentials all contribute to a larger variance in the system.

5. How does the variance of a harmonic oscillator relate to quantum mechanics?

The variance of a harmonic oscillator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it represents the uncertainty and probabilistic nature of particles in the microscopic world. It is a key aspect of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.