Quantum mechanics getting position operator from momentum

In summary: The answer is because the momentum operator is self-adjoint. So it doesn't matter which side we put it on.
mertcan
hi, initially I want to put into words that I looked up the link (http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-the-momentum-representation-from-knowing-the), and I saw that $$\langle p|[\hat x,\hat p]|\psi \rangle = \langle p|\hat x\hat p|\psi \rangle - \langle p|\hat p\hat x|\psi \rangle = \langle p|\hat x\hat p|\psi \rangle - p\langle p|\hat x|\psi \rangle$$
But I can not understand how $$\langle p|\hat p,\hat x|\psi \rangle=p\langle p|\hat x|\psi \rangle$$ is possible.
why do we have $$p$$ and $$\hat p$$ in the former and just $$p$$ in the latter? What is the logic and proof of this kind of transformation? AND why do we lose the $$\hat p$$ term?
I am looking forward to your valuable responses...

Physics news on Phys.org
##|p\rangle## is an eigenstate of the momentum operator:
$$
\hat p | p \rangle = p | p \rangle
$$
where ##p## is the value of the momentum in state ##|p\rangle##.

Likes bhobba
DrClaude said:
##|p\rangle## is an eigenstate of the momentum operator:
$$
\hat p | p \rangle = p | p \rangle
$$
where ##p## is the value of the momentum in state ##|p\rangle##.
I know that fact $$p$$ is eigenvalue and $$p\rangle$$ is eigenvector but still can not use this situation in the equation I have given...A little bit more help...

What's the goal of these manipulations? For the term in question you use the self-adjointness of the momentum operator to get
$$\langle p|\hat{p} \hat{x} \psi \rangle=\langle \hat{p} p|\hat{x} \psi \rangle=p \langle p|\hat{x} \psi \rangle.$$

mertcan said:
why do we have $$p$$ and $$\hat p$$ in the former and just $$p$$ in the latter? What is the logic and proof of this kind of transformation? AND why do we lose the $$\hat p$$ term?
I am looking forward to your valuable responses...
In the latter, we don't have just ##p##. We have two ##p##'s. One ##p## is in ##\langle p|## and the other ##p## is on the left from that. So we don't lose ##\hat p##. We replace ##\hat p## with ##p## and put it on the left.

Perhaps you ask why can we put it on the left?

Related to Quantum mechanics getting position operator from momentum

1. What is the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that determines the position of a particle in space. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is used to describe the position of a particle in terms of its coordinates, such as x, y, and z.

2. How is the position operator derived from momentum in quantum mechanics?

The position operator is derived from momentum using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one knows the momentum of a particle, the less precisely one can know its position. This relationship is described by the commutation relation [x,p]=iℏ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, and ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the significance of the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The position operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the position of a particle with respect to its surroundings. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

4. Can the position operator be applied to all particles in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the position operator can be applied to all particles in quantum mechanics, including electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is a universal concept that is used to describe the position of all particles in the quantum world.

5. How is the position operator related to the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The position operator is related to the wave function in quantum mechanics through the wave function's probability amplitude. The square of the wave function's probability amplitude gives the probability of finding a particle at a specific position, which is determined by the position operator. In other words, the wave function describes the position of a particle in terms of the position operator.