Quantum Mechanics - Ehrenfest's Theorem

In summary, Ehrenfest's theorem states that the expectation value of a measurable quantity, such as the kinetic energy of a particle in a well, behaves according to classical physics equations. When calculating the expectation value of a quantity, it is important to include the potential energy of the system. However, when the system is in a stationary state, the kinetic energy is always zero.
dsr39
We have to apply Ehrenfest's theorem and I don't think it was ever explained well to us. I have read that expectation values of measurable quantities behave according to classical physics equations

ie.
[tex]M\frac{d\left<x(t)\right>}{dt} = \left<p(t)\right>[/tex]

I think I must be applying this idea wrong because I don't see how this result works out for the calculation of <E(t)> for an infinite square well in a particular energy eigenstate.

For an infinite square well in a stationary state.
[tex]\left<x(t)\right>=const \to M\frac{d\left<x(t)\right>}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

That quantity is equal to momentum so <p> is zero, and does that also mean <E(t)> is zero since

[tex] \left<E(t)\right> = \frac{\left<p(t)\right>^2}{2m}[/tex]

But <E(t)> shouldn't be zero because the energies in stationary states for the infinite square well are very clearly defined by the boundary conditions and which stationary state you're in. How am I wrongly applying Ehrenfest's theorem... your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
E is the eigenvalue of the hamiltonian (the mechanical energy operator). So you forgot to count in the potential energy. The expectation value of the kinetical energy which you calculated, is ofcorse zero in a stationary state.

The Potential term is zero, I think because it is in an infinite well where the potential at the walls (-L/2 and +L/2) is defined to be infinity and the potential at -L/2<x<L/2 is defined to be zero.

faen said:
The expectation value of the kinetical energy which you calculated, is ofcorse zero in a stationary state.
No, it is not.

dsr39 said:
[tex] \left<E(t)\right> = \frac{\left<p(t)\right>^2}{2m}[/tex]
That's not correct. The square lives inside the (expectation value) sum/integral, not outside it.

faen said:
E is the eigenvalue of the hamiltonian (the mechanical energy operator). So you forgot to count in the potential energy. The expectation value of the kinetical energy which you calculated, is ofcorse zero in a stationary state.

The last 2 statements are wrong. Next time, leave out the phrase "of course" if you don't know what you're talking about :-) Gokul is right.

Last edited:
I see where I was going wrong, thanks for the help.

Related to Quantum Mechanics - Ehrenfest's Theorem

What is Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Ehrenfest's Theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the time evolution of a quantum system to the expectation values of its observables. It was developed by Austrian physicist Paul Ehrenfest in 1925.

How does Ehrenfest's Theorem relate to classical mechanics?

Ehrenfest's Theorem states that the rate of change of an observable in a quantum system is equal to the commutator of that observable with the Hamiltonian operator, which is a measure of the total energy of the system. This is similar to the classical mechanics concept of using equations of motion to determine the rate of change of a system's observable quantities.

What is the significance of Ehrenfest's Theorem in quantum mechanics?

Ehrenfest's Theorem is significant because it allows us to connect the abstract mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics with the familiar concepts of classical mechanics. It also provides a way to understand the behavior of quantum systems in terms of their classical counterparts.

What are some applications of Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Ehrenfest's Theorem has various applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of quantum entanglement, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. It is also used in the development of quantum algorithms and in the analysis of quantum systems in the presence of external forces.

Is Ehrenfest's Theorem applicable to all quantum systems?

Ehrenfest's Theorem is applicable to all quantum systems that can be described by a Hamiltonian operator. This includes most physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. However, it may not be applicable to systems that are highly chaotic or that exhibit non-linear behavior.