Quantum Mechanics book suggestions

In summary: is starting college soon and is interested in astrophysics but is only a beginner-ibysaiyan has skimmed the basics of physics from his/her college days and is looking for more information-ibysaiyan is considering starting with topics related to quantum mechanics
ibysaiyan
Hi
I would first like to apologize in case I post this thread under the wrong sub-forum . I will be starting my undergraduate course in a few months time so I thought of keeping myself upto date on astrophysics (My main subject of interest) but I find myself to be increasingly fascinated by the Quantum world in fact I have got the notable line of Sir Richards Philips Feynman over Quantum theory on my mind.Are there any useful links to get me started ? My knowledge is of beginner level ,maybe.All I know are the fermions/bosons,proposed particles , ,their comparison(spin differences) and whatever information wiki has on them.

Sorry if I rambled along.
Regards,
ibysaiyan

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably read through the 3 volumes of the Feynman Lectures of Physics. They'd be excellent supplementary material for your intro courses and cover QM in later chapters.

You might also consider 'The Meaning of Quantum Theory' by Baggott which doesn't assume you really know any physics but introduces some the formalism of QM through polarization and spins. Its a nice intro, not too heavy and gives you something more than the usual lay-person stuff.

here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/019855575X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the recommendations.I will go through them once my computer is fixed,meanwhile if anyone else feels like they might have some useful info. to share you are welcome to do so.

Regards,
ibysaiyan

p.s:took me ages to tap this post.

Hi all
I have come back to say that I have finally got the full set of "lecture on physics" by Sir Feynman however as you all know it's very extensive piece of work and my interest is Q.M only.
Of the three volumes ,volume I is mainly based on heat, Newtonian mechanics that consists of some 52 topics of which I have skimmed/and read few about first 10.The dilemma is that much of stuff which's mentioned I am aware of; for instance keplers law,law of gravitation,atomic theory,kinetic theory of gases,etc basic stuff based on physics I came across my college [high-school years]. Would it be appropriate if I just start with topics leading to Q.M ? :s

Right now I am in a sort of pickle situation on one hand various discussion are held on PF of which I have nil clue and on the other hand "the book is very informative but I could save my time by just reading through topics based on Q.M".

All I am asking is whether it would be wise of me to pick certain topics from volume I,II and then read volume III thoroughly which is Q.M[I think] ?

Thanks for your replies.
-ibysaiyan

Related to Quantum Mechanics book suggestions

1. What is the best quantum mechanics book for beginners?

The best quantum mechanics book for beginners is often considered to be "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject while being accessible for those with little prior knowledge in the field.

2. What are some good quantum mechanics books for self-study?

Some good quantum mechanics books for self-study include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Understanding Quantum Mechanics" by Roland Omnes. These books provide clear explanations and exercises for self-study.

3. Are there any quantum mechanics books that focus on specific topics?

Yes, there are many quantum mechanics books that focus on specific topics such as "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor G. Rieffel and Wolfgang H. Polak, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. McIntyre. These books dive deeper into specific areas of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the best quantum mechanics book for advanced readers?

The best quantum mechanics book for advanced readers is often considered to be "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar. It is a highly respected and comprehensive book that covers advanced topics in a clear and concise manner.

5. Are there any recommended online resources for quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning quantum mechanics such as online courses, lecture notes, and video lectures. Some recommended resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses on quantum mechanics that can be found through a simple internet search.