Quantum mechanics - a free particle

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the position of a particle in free space and finding the wavefunction in x representation after the measurement. It is suggested that the wavefunction will be proportional to a delta function, which is an eigenfunction of the position operator. The conversation also touches on finding the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian for a free particle in x representation, which involves solving the Schrodinger equation with V(x)=0. It is noted that this results in an infinite number of eigenfunctions, with only two basic "types" forming a basis for the eigenfunctions space, which is considered a Hilbert space.
maria clara
Hello everyone!

If we measure the position of a particle in a free space, and say we find that it is at x0,

what is the wavefunction right after the measurement in x representation?

shouldn't it be delta (x-x0), because delta functions are the eigenfunctions of the position operator?

Another question is how do I find the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of a free particle in x representation?

Thanks in advance:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
maria clara said:
Hello everyone!

Hello! :)

If we measure the position of a particle in a free space, and say we find that it is at x0,

what is the wavefunction right after the measurement in x representation?

shouldn't it be delta (x-x0), because delta functions are the eigenfunctions of the position operator?

Yes, up to a normalization constant I think. I don't have my quantum book handy so you might want to check on this. But the wavefunction will at least be proportional to a delta function.

Another question is how do I find the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of a free particle in x representation?

You solve the Schrodinger equation with [itex]V(x)=0[/itex].

thank you!:smile:

I solved the Schrodinger equation and got the function:
Aexp(ikx)+Bexp(-ikx).

This means that any private case (like A=0 and B=1) is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian. Can I conclude that the Hamiltonian has an infinite number of eigenfunctions?

I also notice that there are only two basic "types" here - exp(ikx) and exp(-ikx).
Does it mean that these two form a basis of the Hamiltonian eigenfunctions space? is it considered as a Hilbert space?

Related to Quantum mechanics - a free particle

1. What is a free particle in quantum mechanics?

A free particle in quantum mechanics refers to a particle that is not bound to any potential energy well. This means that the particle is not affected by any external forces or barriers, and its behavior is described solely by the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How does a free particle behave in quantum mechanics?

A free particle in quantum mechanics exhibits wave-like behavior, meaning that it does not have a definite position or momentum, but rather exists as a probability distribution. This probability distribution can be described by a wave function, which evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

3. Can a free particle have a definite position or momentum?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that a free particle cannot have a definite position or momentum, but rather exists as a superposition of all possible states.

4. How is the energy of a free particle described in quantum mechanics?

The energy of a free particle in quantum mechanics is described by the particle's wave function. The energy of the particle is represented by the frequency of the wave, with higher frequencies corresponding to higher energies. This relationship is known as the de Broglie relation.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics for free particles?

Quantum mechanics for free particles has many applications in modern technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are the building blocks of all matter. In addition, quantum mechanics is crucial in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum teleportation.