Quantum info and its indestructability

• B
  • Thread starter sayetsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, information is related to bits and quantum information cannot be destroyed due to the principle of unitarity in quantum mechanics. This has been experimentally confirmed in the quantum no-hiding theorem. The term "quantum eraser" is a misnomer for this experiment as it involves reversible operations. Quantum states are the mathematical objects used to describe a system in QM, and unitarity refers to the reversible time evolution of these states. This means that information cannot be created or destroyed in a quantum system.
sayetsu
TL;DR Summary
Why can't information (or just quantum info?) be destroyed, and what is it?
What is information? IIRC it has something to do with bits. What is quantum information? Can either be destroyed? Why (not)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a proper reference which states that information cannot be destroyed.

Something's amiss. If this were true, the quantum eraser experiment wouldn't be possible.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
EPR said:
Please provide a proper reference which states that information cannot be destroyed.

Unitarity is the general property of any quantum theory which guarantees that quantum information cannot be destroyed.

EPR said:
If this were true, the quantum eraser experiment wouldn't be possible.

"Quantum eraser" is a very unfortunate misnomer for this experiment, since it involves unitary operations that do not create or destroy any information.

Likes vanhees71
sayetsu said:
What is quantum information?

The quantum state. It can't be destroyed because the evolution of the quantum state is unitary, and unitary operations cannot create or destroy information, since they are reversible.

Likes vanhees71
But what are quantum states and unitarity? What do these words mean?

sayetsu said:
what are quantum states and unitarity? What do these words mean?

First, a note: I have changed the level of this thread to "B" based on the questions quoted just above.

Second, have you ever studied any quantum mechanics?

Likes vanhees71
Some, yes. More than the average bear.

sayetsu said:
Some, yes. More than the average bear.

And you have never encountered the terms "quantum state" or "unitarity" in your studies? That seems very unlikely if you have studied "more than the average bear", since those terms are basic QM terms that anyone who has studied any QM at all should have encountered.

Can you give some specific textbooks or other references that you have studied?

Likes weirdoguy and vanhees71
I've only encountered it academically in my college chem class. I don't know a lot, but the average bear couldn't tell you what a quark is, for example. That's what I meant.

sayetsu said:
I've only encountered it academically in my college chem class.

Even there I would have expected at least some mention of the term "quantum state" (or "wave function"--perhaps you've seen that, it means the same thing). It's just the mathematical object that is used in QM to describe a system.

"Unitarity", for purposes of your question, is simply the fact that the time evolution of the quantum state/wave function is reversible. That means you can always recover any past state from the current state. Any reversible time evolution like this cannot create or destroy information.

Thanks! :)

Related to Quantum info and its indestructability

1. What is quantum information?

Quantum information is a field of study that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and information theory to understand how information is stored, processed, and transmitted in quantum systems.

2. How is quantum information different from classical information?

Quantum information differs from classical information in that it is not limited to binary states (0 and 1) but can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This is known as superposition and is a fundamental property of quantum systems.

3. What is the principle of indestructibility in quantum information?

The principle of indestructibility in quantum information states that quantum information cannot be destroyed or lost, even if the physical system that carries it is destroyed. This is due to the phenomenon of entanglement, where particles are connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of distance.

4. How is quantum information used in technology?

Quantum information has many potential applications in technology, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. These technologies utilize the unique properties of quantum systems to perform tasks that are not possible with classical systems.

5. What are the challenges in studying and utilizing quantum information?

One of the biggest challenges in studying and utilizing quantum information is the fragile nature of quantum systems. They are easily affected by external factors, making it difficult to maintain and manipulate their state. Additionally, the principles of quantum mechanics can be counterintuitive and require a different way of thinking compared to classical systems.