Quantum Harmonic Oscillator necessary DE

In summary: If it works three times, it's a tool. If it works four times, it's a law.In summary, the section on quantum harmonic oscillators in the Principles of Quantum Mechanics textbook discusses the equation ψ"-(y^2)ψ=0 and provides a solution of ψ=(y^m)*e^((-y^2)/2), similar to a gaussian function. The method used to arrive at this solution is through guessing the general shape of the solution and justifying it by thinking about the behavior of the differential equation near infinity. This approach is common in solving differential equations in physics, though it may be seen as a "thoughtful selection of a suitable ansatz" rather than simply guessing. However,
mjlist16
I was reading through my Principles of Quantum Mechanics textbook and arrived at the section that discusses the quantum harmonic oscillator. In this discussion the equation ψ"-(y^2)ψ=0 presents itself and a solution is given as ψ=(y^m)*e^((-y^2)/2), similar to a gaussian function i assume. My book has given no derivation that yielded this answer it only supplied it, so my question is if an answer of this sort can be algebraically solved for, or what kind of logic would lead to such an answer. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guessing the general shape of the solution is the easiest way here: The second derivative is the function, multiplied by y. This leads to the approach ##e^{-y^2}## (with the minus to let it get smaller for large y).
If you calculate derivatives of that, you get a lot of factors of 2y. To cancel the 2, you can modify the function to ##e^{-y^2/2}##, and then you can multiply it with a sum of y^m to get a solution.

Thank you, it's just hard for me to accept this guessing method as I go further into physics, i just can't help but believe that there exists a way to explicitly solve this equation. Would a series solution work for this type?

A power series does work, but after you factor out the exp(-y2/2). Not just any power series but a finite power series, i.e. a polynomial. Which is what you need in order to find discrete eigensolutions.

This is not guesswork - you can justify the factorization by thinking about the DE's behavior near infinity. But in practical terms the reason you don't just start chugging away on a power series is that you'll get a three-term recurrence formula.

thank you for your guidance I think i may have worked out something that satisfies my ocd.

mjlist16 said:
Thank you, it's just hard for me to accept this guessing method as I go further into physics, i just can't help but believe that there exists a way to explicitly solve this equation.

It's not physics that requires this sort of guessing, it's solving differential equations that does. However, you'll come across <understatement>a lot</understatement> of differential equations in physics... so you might as well get used to it.

Some people find the term "guess" to be somewhat pejorative, and even below the dignity of any serious scientist. You can always use the phrase "thoughtful selection of a suitable ansatz" instead, and vary it by substituting "brilliant", "inspired", "clever" for "thoughtful" as needed.

I've never seen a derivation of the Schwarzschild solution that used the word "guess", but I've also never seen one that didn't start with an ansatz. :smile:

Nugatory said:
Some people find the term "guess" to be somewhat pejorative, and even below the dignity of any serious scientist. You can always use the phrase "thoughtful selection of a suitable ansatz" instead, and vary it by substituting "brilliant", "inspired", "clever" for "thoughtful" as needed.
If it works once, it's a trick. If it works twice, it's a method.

Related to Quantum Harmonic Oscillator necessary DE

1. What is a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point, governed by the principles of quantum mechanics. It is a simplified model used to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum mechanical system.

2. Why is the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator necessary in differential equations?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is necessary in differential equations because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles in various systems. Understanding its behavior and solving for its necessary differential equations helps us better understand the nature of particles and their interactions.

3. What are the necessary differential equations for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The necessary differential equations for the quantum harmonic oscillator are the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg equation of motion. The Schrödinger equation describes the time evolution of the quantum state of a particle, while the Heisenberg equation of motion describes the time evolution of the observables of a particle.

4. How is the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator related to energy levels?

The energy levels of a quantum harmonic oscillator are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the constraints of the system, such as the potential energy function, and is a result of the principles of quantum mechanics. The energy levels provide insight into the behavior and properties of the oscillator.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator has many real-world applications, including in the study of molecular vibrations and atomic force microscopy. It is also used in the development of quantum computers and in the creation of new materials, such as graphene. Additionally, the principles of the quantum harmonic oscillator are applied in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to understand the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.