Quantum Gravity made too simple.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of supernatural units, where certain constants such as \hbar, c, \pi, and e are set equal to 1. This simplifies calculations and leads to accurate predictions, as shown by the example of g = 0.99\overline{9}. The conversation also mentions a grand unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity, and hints at further simplifications to be explored in a future paper. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about the Catholic Church and the sum of all natural numbers being equal to -1/12.
Jimmy Snyder
I will work with supernatural units in which [itex]\hbar = c = 1[/itex] and further, [itex]\pi = e = -1 = 1[/itex].
Using these units, and some minor calculation we see that the Lagrangian is:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = 1[/tex]

This not only simplifies matters, but leads to remarkably accurate predictions. For instance, if we assume that the S matrix is given by

[tex]S = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}S^{(n)}[/tex]

where

[tex]S^{(n)} = 9 (.1)^{n+1}[/tex]

Then we have [itex]g = 0.99\overline{9}[/itex], in remarkable agreement with the experimental value of 1, the error being only [itex]0.0\overline{0}1[/itex].

What's more, by setting 0 = 1 we have the following grand unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

[tex](i\not{\partial} - m)\psi = 0 = 1 = 0 = R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R - 8GT_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

In my next paper, I will investigate the implications of the further simplification [itex]\frac{1}{2} = 8 = 1[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I admit- you got me. I actually wrote out a response pointing out all the errors when, while trying to decide how to respond to the last line, it finally hit me- this is a joke!

Funny! I came to this thread immediately after watching a Samantha Bee episode on Daily Show, and it's right in the same vein.
She was explaining the terms used to describe the gathering of Cardinals to elect a Pope.

There is no single pope but a landscape of popes; you find the correct vacuum state by catholic reasoning which requires 3 = 1; from this equation you can derive both the existence and the non-existence of god, so it's a theory of everything.

tom.stoer said:
vacuum state by catholic reasoning which requires 3 = 1;

only if you have the correct ... wait for it...cardinality

Don't forget:

[tex]1+2+3+\cdots =-\frac{1}{12}[/tex]

Now everything makes sense.

:-D

Related to Quantum Gravity made too simple.

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It attempts to explain how gravity works at a quantum level, where particles are described by both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it is necessary for a complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. It also plays a crucial role in cosmology, as it helps explain the behavior of gravity in the early universe and the formation of black holes.

3. How does quantum gravity differ from classical gravity?

Quantum gravity differs from classical gravity in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and wave-particle duality. It also considers gravity as a fundamental force that is carried by particles (gravitons) rather than a curvature of space-time.

4. Is there any evidence for quantum gravity?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for quantum gravity. However, some theories, such as string theory, make predictions that could potentially be tested in the future. Additionally, the effects of quantum gravity may be observed in extreme environments, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe.

5. Can quantum gravity be simplified?

While quantum gravity is a complex and still developing field of study, efforts have been made to simplify and explain it in more accessible terms. However, due to its highly mathematical nature, a full understanding of quantum gravity requires a background in advanced physics and mathematics.